Welbie L. Fuller Residence

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, each rectangular module would contain eight square feet, wouldn't it ?

The real tricky ones would be the triangular modules. Where Storrer gives the altitude of the triangle, that corresponds to the distance between parallel lines of the grid. This gives a starting point for calculating the footage.

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

That is why I like using the square module. I just count how many rectangles,squares,triangles,parallelograms there are on the outside wall and the multiply that by 4',5' that is what I did for the Fawcett House. I forgot what the numbers are.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

So it had scored concrete floor but it used hardwood flooring on the main and bedroom floors but not in the ground floor.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

It ? What ?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Oops just realized I typed that previous post of mine in the wrong box. I meant that as an email.
JAT
Jeff T

JSL

Post by JSL »

Area of a parallelogram = base x height (altitude in FLW drawings, or distance between parallel lines)

Area of a triangle = (base x height)/2

Area of a hexagon = base x height x 3 (where the height is again the distance between the parallel lines of the hexagon, or the altitude per FLW, and the base is the length of any of the 6 sides).

If you only know the length of a side on a regular hexagon it gets a little more difficult, but it is approximately length x length x 2.598

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I guess they teach square footage in college? I have not yet gone to college so I don't know how to do square footage and my math is horrible. But that could help me in life.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Don't they teach geometry in high school any more ? Intermediate algebra is where I fell off the train, and calculus is beyond me altogether, apparently
-- but geometry, being a "visual" science, was a pleasure.

Area of a rectangle (length by width) should be simple enough. That is, if a plan is 40 feet by 30 feet, the area would be 1200 sq ft.

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

They still do, though, I left public school to be home schooled because I felt and my parents felt that they weren't giving me enough education. I left 10th Grade back in 2006 for home schooling and I felt I learned more being home schooled than in public school. Geometry is something I love but math, like you, algebra was something I failed in and I was in Algebra 1 which is for the slow people. I am not slow but math + me= Fail. I thought I throw in some math there. College will probably teach square footage and measuring. I used a ruler for most of my math studying to add, subtract, multiply. Division is my weakness.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I am wondering if there is any text or drawing of any of the furniture that the Welbie L. Fuller Residence has/had. I know there is a Rayward Chair, Lewis coffee Table and that is all I have on the furniture.
JAT
Jeff T

GeorgeAmberson

Post by GeorgeAmberson »

Jeff, I too share a fascination with the Fuller House. While other lost masterpieces such as the Pauson House get all the glory, little gems such as the Fuller House remain relatively forgotten. It is this house that, if I were to come into money, would choose to resurrect, because of its fascinating geometry.

In relation to your request, a color picture of the Fuller House is in the book Lost Wright, by Carla Lund. You might be disappointed to learn that the concrete block was gray, but you might expect to see that the details are Cherokee Red.

I wish you all the luck in your endeavors.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Thank you GeorgeAmberson and welcome to Wright Chat.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Mr Amberson; I had forgotten that these pictures were available in Ms Lind's book. I suspect that the color may have faded in these vintage
photos -- or perhaps the paint or stain itself could have become less intense before the photos were taken ? The black-and-white photos in Storrer
suggest that the woodwork was somewhat darker at one point -- though in my experience red reads somewhat darker than it should, in monochrome
photos.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Were these taken in the 60's? i see the back of a Volkswagen Beetle. I love the color Photographs very neat. Thank you SDR for posting them. I just noticesd that if you add Back and White to the photo it almost looks like the black and white Photos in Storrer's Photographs. The lighting conditions are due too the sun light angle and possible age.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm. . .that's not quite what I see: