Welbie L. Fuller Residence

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Jeff Myers

Welbie L. Fuller Residence

Post by Jeff Myers »

The Welbie L. Fuller Residence destroyed by Camille in 1969. I was wondering if there are any photos or information on the building materials and furniture designs.

Jeff
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Did some math for the square footage on the house the Above ground living room area is a total of 960 sq. ft. the top bedroom level is 560 sq.ft. making the main house 1,520 sq. ft. the attached guest room is 384 sq.ft. the house comes out to be a total of living space of 1,904 sq.ft.
JAT
Jeff T

DRN

Post by DRN »

Jeff:
There aren't many photos of the Fuller house other than those in Storrer's books or in the Monograph volume 1951-1959. From what I have read, the construction materials and details were very similar to the Raymond Carlson house. I'm not sure of the colors...from the black and white pics I've seen, it appears as if the posts and beams are painted or stained darker than the cemesto or transite panels as at the Carlson house, though I doubt Wright would have used turquoise paint in the Mississippi swamps. The masonry is concrete block which may or may not have been painted.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Are the photos in the Monograph the same as the ones in Storrer ? I saw the photos of living room guest room and exterior.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I will be doing the home on Sketchup. I just needed information. Thanks for the help.
JAT
Jeff T

DRN

Post by DRN »

Jeff:
I checked the Monograph 1951-1959 last night. The Fuller house is not illustrated with photos. There is a perspective drawing from approximately the angle of Storrer's overall photo, a sheet with the floor plans, and a sheet with the elevations. From the standpoint of making a computer model, it might be worth tracking down a copy of the Monograph at a library for the plans and elevations.

Best of luck...please post your sketch-up of the house, it is truly a design in need of study.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Elevations? Can you scan them? I don't have a library card, I have tried but failed in getting a state I.D, Library card, Savings account for weeks now I have tried getting those would possibly be the same amount of time I could of have searched for the Monograph.
JAT
Jeff T

DRN

Post by DRN »

I unfortunately do not have the ability to scan the book.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I just checked my library online and they do not have it. Maybe take a picture of the page and send it to me?
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

So this is a link to the photo of the Fuller House on my website:
http://web.mac.com/jeffthielemier18/www ... os.html#13

http://web.mac.com/jeffthielemier18/www ... os.html#14

http://web.mac.com/jeffthielemier18/www ... os.html#15

I will do the house tomorrow but will not upload it If anyone wants to see it I can send it to you and I will post photos on my website of the house. I will not do it accurately but instead will make the shell but will do the interior all by my own standards. That is probably what Wright would want is not to copy his work but make it your own based on his principals.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Does anyone know where the Fuller house was located in Pass Christian,MS? I think I was told it was near the beach but that doesn't help. It said it has ,or had rather, 3 floors but I only see 2 on the Storrer plans
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Academic protocol -- which, like the rest of science, is designed to assure reliable information for others to build upon -- would frown on a hybrid
presentation of historic structures, where some of the information is based on accurate measurement and observation and the rest is the presenter's
invention. I can't think that Wright or anyone else would welcome a false presentation of his work, with his name attached. This serves no one, it
seems to me -- even if the hybrid aspect is made clear in writing, as you have done. People rely on pictures to build their own understanding of
the world.

I can well understand the impetus to move ahead -- drawing is fun, and creating a computer "model" is almost addictively fascinating, I'm sure.
But if in the headlong rush to manipulate digits we forget that we are representing Mr Wright's work in an inauthentic manner, we risk passing
on to others less fortunate than we (in terms of familiarity with this work) misinformation about the architecture, which can then become embedded
in the culture -- just as our unintentional misuse of the language can have a ripple effect in the degradation of a shared heritage and common tool.

I note that one of your Usonian designs has a paper-thin roof, for instance. Is this an accurate and faithful rendering of Wright's (or any
other architect's) work -- if that's what it was intended to be ?

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Actually SDR I am keeping the interior and exterior of the Fuller house the way it is. as for reproducing drawings, I have done other drawings and paintings and other things that are what I tried to copy but it seemed that whatever I did looked nothing like the original. I have always said this "I guess the gods don't like other people copying such great works of art". When I did the Jacobs' Residence 1 I did my best to keep the Wright effect but when it came down to it,it looked nothing like it(interior furnishings,lighting,etcetera). I also have done the Rosenbaum,Carlson,Hillside- Price Jr. Residence, Westhope,Samara,Weltzheimer,Shiprock(Pauson Residence), Willey Residence-Gardenwall, Gordon House (which was not a full model I did but some one created a part of the shell in which I did the interior and finishing) but all of those do not look like the original. I tried to do make it as original and accurate as possible but it did not turn out the right way, no pun intended. Sketchup has limited detail when it comes down to it. The Weltzheimer ,for instance, had so much detail and to fit within the guidlines of the 3D Warehouse, which is 10 meg., I had to strip all the detail but kept most of what made the Weltzheimer. I will try my best to tackle the Fuller House but in my mind it will only be half of what it was and what it looked like. I know that because I don't like putting frills in my models unless it is called for. This house has beamed ceiling I will do that because that is one of the many details that made this home.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

My principal concern would be that the models be drawn to accurate measurements -- and that if these are not available, the house in question
be set aside. The actual lengths, widths, heights and thicknesses of elements, and the whole, are the only way to correctly portray the
architect's work in its true proportion -- and the only hope for it to "look right," as a result. This you know. I would hope that all persons
contributing models -- of houses and furniture -- to the Internet would observe this standard. Detail can always be added, but if an object starts
out "out of scale" the meaning of the work is lost at the start, never to be corrected (in that model). If others are populating their virtual worlds
with these models, we owe it to everyone that they be true. At least it seems that way to me.

Unfortunately, measurable drawings are not easy to come by. Storrer has provided scaled plan drawings of Wright's work -- but without
elevations or sections, a measured model is impossible. The Monographs are the only other available source of these measurements -- and, in
addition to the rarity and expense of these volumes, the drawings presented are not generally labeled to let the student know which plans
and elevations are final, as-built versions of a design. Nor are they reproduced at any easily-measured scale. So the drafter of models like
yours faces quite a challenge to get them "Wright" -- as you have discovered, I'm sure.

Drawings and photographs seldom "look like" the objects they depict, for a variety of reasons: true color and texture can only be approximated;
the optical laws that affect perspective compromise the ability to show a true view; and time and other variables affect the lighting of spaces,
which can radically alter their "mood." It has been said that, contrary to the standard cliché "photographs don't lie," the truth is that photographs
always lie. So it is no wonder that we are frustrated when even a dimensionally accurate drawing fails to give the impression that we hoped
for. It is the job of the illustrator -- in any medium -- to learn what can be done to improve his work in this regard. As you suggest, SketchUp is
relatively limited in tools that would help you deal with some of the subtleties of your art. At the same time, it has one feature, of course, that
is a tremendous aid to understanding how perspective works, and that is the ability of the artist to rotate the model.

In the end, the illustrator trades any idea of actual fidelity to the original subject, for a set of effects that substitute a desirable image -- ideally,
one that expresses what the designer was trying to say. And, whatever else the illustrator is able to accomplish, the starting point for that image
had better be a dimensionally accurate construction -- or he's sunk from the start.

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I have learned something take for instance the Fuller House Main Living/Dining/Workspace is 12 squares by 5 squares okay the squares are 4' okay 12x4=48' and 5x4=20' the total living space is 48'x20' which in square footage is 960 sq.ft. the bedroom level is the same method 28'x20' which is 560 sq.ft the main house is 1,520 sq.ft. Pretty good system now for the houses with 2'x4' scored concrete floor, I haven't found out how to do the math to find the square footage for that unit system but I will try that out soon.
JAT
Jeff T