Tracing the designs of 4 basic chairs

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

iconic

SDR

Post by SDR »

March and Scheine (1993) say the Schindler Freeman chairs are from 1927.

I am readying a post of Schindler chairs.

These Taliesin chairs (right, below, in two variations) might be called "Low-back" -- or "Broad-back" ?

Image Hanks, "Decorative Designs. . ."

peterm

Post by peterm »

last photo- talk about the "master of the house"! no question there...

"furniture of r.m. schindler" by berns/gephard claim that the freeman furniture was done in several phases with the dining table and chairs being created in '38. let me read a little more on that.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The following is a link to a Sotheby's auction last June in which someone attempted to sell a table and 4 hassocks from the Sweeton house...apparently the reserve was not reached, and the pieces did not sell. (not sure if this is a regrouping of pieces sold in 2006 at the Wright Auction House in Chicago or not, the fabric is different than what was shown in 2006)

The reason for the post is the great zoom feature on the photo. Just click the photo and then use the zoom in the upper right corner of the detail photo. The level of detail visible may be of help to anyone interested in the Usonian furniture construction.

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/Lo ... =159465699

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, DRN. That's cool ! Don't you wish all photos online were automatically given that function ?

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

drn- even the texture of the upholstery is clear, although i would be surprised if that fabric is original to the hassocks. it's interesting how the ottoman wood has such a different color than the table. from what i remember of sweeton, the color of the redwood plywood table is very close to the built-in furniture there. do the hassocks have a wash or are they different wood?

the estimate is high, but how do you price the priceless?

DRN

Post by DRN »

You are right peterm about the colors, and I'm not sure why they appear that way. The table seems to match the chair I have, as well as much of the plywood near the main entry and in the living room. The hassocks are more akin to the color of the plywood in the kitchen. I suspect the difference is in sun exposure over the life of the pieces. The entry and living room get a blast of sun at times during the day/year and the kitchen only receives sun filtered through multiple layers of frosted glass (now 2 layers tranlucent plasic and 1 layer frosted glass) in the skylight. The finish could have been different but that would not have made sense if all were made at the same time.

The fabric must be new...too white and does not match what I have. I'm not sure if these pieces are the same as those sold in 2006 which had the original fabric. The table matches the size noted then (which does not appear on the drawings) and there were only 4 hassocks sold then. Per the drawings, 8 were to have been made...

peterm

Post by peterm »

double post
Last edited by peterm on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterm

Post by peterm »

drn-

it's great with the zoom; one can even see the 5 ply edge of the hassocks.

interesting, all of your furniture seems to be ply; lamberson tables, cabinets, shelves, are ply, but our drawings for the hassocks call for solid wood. we had to find wide (14") redwood boards in order to build them. we had a dozen made, they are now finished and when the cushions are upholstered, i will post them. for sweeton, wright was reasonable in asking for eight , the lamberson house drawings say build 17!

do you still have the drawings for your furniture, or will you reconstruct the hassocks from an existing one?

are the sweeton hassocks unique to your house? yet another interesting cube variation.

peterm

Post by peterm »

goetsch winkler side chair courtesy of mobius:

http://4sure.co.nz/gw/goetsch-winkler-EL35.jpg

SDR

Post by SDR »

I guess I'll have to put off the later Wright tall-back chairs, and go for the 'thirties Usonian plywood seats. You'll see them tomorrow.

This Goetsch/Winckler chair looks more like Schindler to me than any other of Wright's things, somehow. Maybe it's the center leg and fin ?

And is that a perforated decoration ?

peterm

Post by peterm »

does it still look like it might have a tendency to tip to the side?

notice that the center (2 by 4?) is perforated. there are other versions of this chair which have no perfs.

SDR

Post by SDR »

PLATE 17

The "Goetsch and Winckler" E. Lansing Mich. Drawing 3907.11

Date: May 7, 1940

The beds shown here were constructed but are no longer in the house. Several of the sectional dining room tables and bedside tables are still in
use, but none of the dining room chairs seem to have been built. Two studio chairs (see plate 26) were constructed but at a later time, judging
from their absence in the 1940 photographs.

PLATE 26 [photo in post above]

Studio Chair and Stool No date

Kresge Art Museum, gift of Elizabeth Halsted

At least two "studio chairs" were constructed sometime after 1940 according to the design on the millwork drawing (plate 17). However, the
pattern on the lower front leg is not specified in the drawings. The chairs do not appear in any photographs of the interior. They originally had
cushions, but according to visitors to the house these were missing from at least the mid-1960s.

The stool is one of several that were built and used around the dining table, as seen in Balthazar Korab's photograph in "The Work of Frank
Lloyd Wright in Michigan," Michigan Society of Architects Bulletin, 33 (Dec. 1959). While the specifications were not included in Wright's drawings, this
design is found often in Wright's Usonian houses.

All of the above, from "Affordable Dreams" (Kresge Art Museum Bulletin, Special Issue, Vol VI, 1991)

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, the photo you linked is a 'dining chair,' and the one above is a 'studio chair.' Neither seems exactly as drawn. . .

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

what is the difference from what is drawn? i don't see it.

the dining has the seat parallel to the floor. the studio (like a lounge, no arms?) has an inclined seat.
both of these chairs are in the photos from mobius posted on the other thread. i don't see perfs in either...