Guggenheim Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
flwright

Guggenheim Restoration

Post by flwright »

I've just returned from our voyage to NYC and I posted a few pictures (okay... as many as flickr would let me upload!) of the Guggenheim's recent restoration. As you'll see in the photos, there is a slight bit of work left to complete, but the overall building was just gleaming! Compared to our visit 4 years ago (just before the restoration began), it looks like a brand new building on its grand opening day!

I am still sorting through the pictures and getting my feet wet with Adobe Lightroom to improve the shots (the B&W pictures, as example). I'll post more as they come, or as fast as flickr will let me post them!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48418400@N00/?saved=1
Last edited by flwright on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Now if only they would sheer off the west side of the Gwathmy slab to the thin slab that FLW designed, fenestrate it accordingly, and complete the composition as intended.

peterm

Post by peterm »

nice photos!

i was just there a month ago, and they were still doing repairs on the skin.

i especially like the black and white photos. they look like vintage pics from opening day. the value of the color looks just right. then when i went back to the color photos, i found myself wanting to see that warmer paint tone. i find it so odd that the precedent of the gray tone would win out over what wright probably intended. are there any wright scholars who feel that this is a color which he would have been pleased with? i miss the warm glow.

when i was there it was an overcast but warm day, but in my photos it appeared to be a cold late autumn or winter day.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Was work also done to the interior?

The photos were very good.

Thanks
Homeowner

flwright

Post by flwright »

By the time we arrived at the Guggenheim, we only had 15 minutes to take shots of the inside before it closed so we didn't bother purchasing the tickets to go any further than the lobby. When we were in the gift shop, however, there was a plastic sheet covering the opening to the floors above so it was my assumption at the time that there were some interior renovations going on. I had not previously heard they were doing any interior renos on a large scale, but I've been known to be wrong now and then. Perhaps this was just a minor reno to the gallery above? Anybody else with details?
Morgan

JimM

Post by JimM »

Roderick Grant wrote:Now if only they would sheer off the west side of the Gwathmy slab to the thin slab that FLW designed, fenestrate it accordingly, and complete the composition as intended.
Amen.

JimM

Post by JimM »

As fresh as it looks and as fortunate as we are for the restoration, I still can't get past the shameful decision to intentionally paint it a color that would prevent Wright from even entering it today. To "Internationalize" it is the antithesis of everything it represents architecturally.

Maybe final touches remain, but wasn't there a red tile below the dates, and wasn't the fascia of the "tower" to the left supposed to be an obvious copper finish? Of course, that would not mesh with the black and white scheme they could not control themselves from doing. And wasn't the lettering across the front supposed to be in relief, not painted? Again, they could not control themselves.

After seeing the "art" in that incredible interior, I couldn't help but think how nice it would be if they emptied the building and turned it into a "spatial museum". Can you imagine how neat it would be to see only people milling around experiencing the space as Wright really intended? It must have killed him anticipating the junk that would eventually scar it.

On a macabre note, he didn't live to have his "teeth hurt" at the grand opening.

flwright

Post by flwright »

I am with you on the colour of the building. As nice and clean as it looked, I kept wondering what it would look like if it was painted the colour Wright had intended. The building looked far too sterile compared to Wright's typically warm architecture. As for the interior, I wasn't overly disappointed I didn't get in this time because, as you say, the "junk" takes away from the space Wright was trying to create.

As for the red tile, the fellah doing the touch-up work indicated that it had been removed as part of the work but would be reinstalled as soon as he was finished. As for the lettering, it was, in fact, in relief but the black copper fascia really surprised me -- I distincly recalled the beautiful verdi-gris colour last time we visited. I'd be interested to know why the NY Landmarks Commission would put up such a fight over the building's paint colour to keep it "true as built" but let the copper be turned black. The decision seems contradictory -- I'd love to hear their rationale.
Morgan