1949 Taliesin Origami Chair - Dimensions? Sketches? Drawing?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Sorry, I meant lower right. You can see why I might have a struggle on my hands making a chair when I can't tell the two apart. : )

SDR

Post by SDR »

This addendum may be helpful: The red lines I've added to the plan below show where the canted planes on either side of the rear "fin" would land on the seat board. The lines already present (at 45˚) show the top ends of these canted planes, where they butt against the "bat-cape" or antimacassar crest of the chair . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm not going to reproduce other portions of this drawing sheet. I've studied all parts of it carefully, and I believe a maker is better served by the two views given on the previous page. The drafter isn't kidding when he says "do not scale" -- he or she would have been more honest to add "don't rely on all given dimensions." It soon becomes clear that many of the dimensions given on one part of the sheet do not agree with those for the same part given elsewhere. I believe the breakdown of parts "helpfully" given on the right side of the drawing is less than useless, and will only perplex the long-suffering craftsman without enlightening him in any meaningful way.

[As you see, the drawings I've reproduced at large scale are from a different sheet than the one shown earlier. I am not able to read most dimensions of the earlier (TAA) sheet even when enlarged; I don't recall where that scan came from. The two sheets are laid out identically, however, and I assume the parts and dimensions are identical. The TAA chair has what appear to be three cut-outs in the rear fin; readers may find a chair somewhere which matches that detail -- which might date the sheet as a result. The sheet I have, and excerpt immediately above, is presumably earlier in origin.]

Better to study photos (there are lots online, and earlier in this thread). Select the one(s) which best seem to match these drawings, and proceed to figure it out from there, making a rough model to start and refining dimensions and angles as you go.

Best of luck !

SDR

Denny

Post by Denny »

Ah, that's ok. I'll take your word for it. I'll update once I take the next step. I have some solid ideas for moving forward on the next chair. Thanks for the input.

SDR

Post by SDR »

You should be able to photograph your first chair from a sufficient distance to get a good "side elevation," and compare that to the drawing ?

SDR

Denny

Final Chair

Post by Denny »

I finally got my act together and had the chair upholstered. I think it turned out pretty good. Planning on another. Will dial in the process a little bit.

chair by infinity616, on Flickr

pcollier

Chair inspired by this Forum

Post by pcollier »

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to give a quick Thank You to everybody that posted on this forum. I wanted to build my own set of "origami" chairs, but hadn't the slightest clue where to start when I decided to take on the project at the beginning of July. Working off of some of the plans here, I made a cardboard prototype and finally completed the chairs and upholstry last week.

I'd be happy to share the dimensions, cut angles, etc I used with anybody upon request, just send me an email. In the next post I'll share a picture of the finished product.

pcollier

Origami Chair finished product

Post by pcollier »

The image:

capie

Post by capie »

Hello Everybody. I wright from italy rome. i want to realize the origami chair how i can do ? please write soon
can you post the executive project of the chair?
expecially the work of mr. pcollier
thanks carlo

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Nice work, pcollier. Thanks for sharing the photo.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Good work! There's is one detail which you might want to consider adding, that is the solid wood fascia which would cover the front edge of the plywood seat.

Notice how the fascia wraps around the side of the chair and tapers inward paralleling the seat cushion. This detail adds refinement to the whole, and creates the illusion of an intersection of the vertical and horizontal. A nice example of Wright's sleight of hand...

SDR

Post by SDR »

That fascia would be just one of a number of variations and refinements, further demonstrating that each maker's Origami is a unique effort, more or less. Note the differences between the ones assumed to be Lautner's version, at the Sturges house, with those seen at Taliesin. The new examples shown above push the limits even further ! Who can say what is or is not an Origami ?

Image Sturges

http://everywheremag.com/photos/7710
Paul Cloutier photo

(Why would we want one exposed plywood edge covered, and not all of them, I wonder ?) Among the many detail variations are width and termination angle of the arms, breadth of the seat back, treatment of the "spine" at the rear (if present), and the amount of "toe" that touches the floor. The (later ?) Taliesin chair shown above even introduces a new piece, the foot that appears from inside the side panel and extends forward to the floor . . .

At this point, I would say that a novice maker would do himself a favor by attempting a recreation entirely from photos, via the use of models and mock-ups, until he is satisfied. As I have noted elsewhere, the Taliesin drawings we have are filled with internal inconsistencies. Among early Origamis there is plenty of variation from which to choose . . .

Still, those who take every trouble to duplicate a known Taliesin-sourced example -- as, for instance, Peter and Stafford did -- are to be commended.

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

For those who wish to follow an original recipe, here are plan and section of the chair from a late-40's Taliesin sheet.

Note that, in the second view, even the intersection of seat and back isn't a right angle. This chair explodes for all time the notion that Mr Wright could only design with the triangle and T-square !

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It would seem to me that the front "toes" on the Origamis would wreak havoc on any floor covering. I would hesitate to put one on a very expensive rug. Just getting into and out of the chair would grind those points through the fabric.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Roderick Grant wrote:It would seem to me that the front "toes" on the Origamis would wreak havoc on any floor covering. I would hesitate to put one on a very expensive rug. Just getting into and out of the chair would grind those points through the fabric.
Mr. Wright added the inside "foot" or "toe" to the design to prevent the chairs from tipping, a hazard whenever someone tried to get out of the chair, something I can attest was a feature of the chair in my room. If you weren't careful you'd be literally thrown across the room.

In the original design the front "toe" did have a tendency to "grind" into the flooring. While the added inner toe looks pointed, it actually extends a flat foot onto the floor, which serves to minimize both problems.