THE KAUFMAN HOUSE / MAY 13, 2008

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

Rood wrote:
Macrodex wrote:Shame we'll never see the plans to the Boulder project.
Hmmm ... Will have to conduct a search, as I have a plan, here, somewhere. Haven't looked at or studied it in ages, but I believe a study is located on the second floor, behind the roof "cutout"
Well, if you manage to find it, please post it.

I could swear I read that the plans were lost when Wright shipped them to a French publication for them to publish and they were never returned -- since they were lost in transit, or something like that.

Forest

Post by Forest »

The plan for the Boulder House

Tom

Post by Tom »

Interesting system of calibrated lines controlling that plan.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for the plan, Forest. Too bad we don't have one large enough to read all the labels. Using the crisp aerial view as a reference, we see that the heaviest circle is the conical chimney mass.

I like the lenticular double bedroom pod. The "bent" dining table is amusing; I wonder if views between diners at a long table might actually be enhanced a bit with this shape,
as opposed to a straight table ? Diners on the convex side would lean back a bit to exchange glances . . .

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

So it seems to be in the same category as the Donahue Triptych.

SDR

Post by SDR »

In what respect, Tom ?

SDR

Forest

Post by Forest »

SDR wrote:

Too bad we don't have one large enough to read all the labels. Using the crisp aerial view as a reference, we see that the heaviest circle is the conical chimney mass.
I wish I had a better plan to work with; this is a low resolution image from an exhibition catalog. Below is an enlargement of the central pod. The conical mass you reference as the chimney also contains what I believe to be labelled as "Indian Bath", whatever that is. I believe this is the direct access to the "lap pool" for Mrs. K that had been written about.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Excellent. It's fortunate that the plan and this illustration, presented earlier by Macrodex, are oriented in the same way. The mysterious concentric circles on the plan, opposite the chimney/Indian bath, are explained (to a certain extent) in the view . . .

Copyright © by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

What isn't explained is how that huge, seemingly massive, circular object is supported by the spindly posts of the glass wall, or what its purpose is. Its function as a resolution of the design is obvious, but its practical function is hard to fathom.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Don't think I've ever seen those perspectives before. Thank you.
Never knew it had that floating doughnut balcony before.

It's like the Triptych in the most generic sense: central mass flanked by two pavilions reached by bridges. ... in that sense it's even Palladian.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Roderick Grant wrote:What isn't explained is how that huge, seemingly massive, circular object is supported by the spindly posts of the glass wall, or what its purpose is. Its function as a resolution of the design is obvious, but its practical function is hard to fathom.
The heavy upper floor is anchored in the fireplace mass, while resting on five narrow but likely heavily reinforced concrete walls, together with those "spindly posts". In sharp contrast the much lighter cantilevered portion swings out, rather similar, in a sense, to the cantilevered brim of an ordinary hat.

So far I haven't found the plan of the upper floor, but as I recall the space was designed as a study. Only how could anyone get any 'studying' done with that view?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm. I guess this would have been the largest and most luxurious of the hemicycles ? In this case, the roof deeply shades the concave window wall, to the extent that there would be very little if any penetration of sunlight into the living room, for most of the year. A non-solar hemicycle ?

The cantilevered element is essentially a ring-shaped sunshade; I don't see that it has any other function. Perhaps it covers a pool ? It doesn't appear at all in the aerial perspective; it should be visible, even though it's on the opposite side of the roof from the viewer.

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

How the ring mezzanine is supported remains curious as RG suggests.
Usually you see Wright integrate the structure into the geometry in some ingenious way.
In this case it's not apparent going from what we've got.
Rood may be correct but I'd look for something additional before going all the way with only what he suggests.
Anchorage to the fireplace mass seems thin.
Wonder what the roof is made of and how it is structured?
Is it possible that structurally the ring mezzanine is an extension of the roof?
and partially hung from above, especially as the arms of the roof reach out to it?
Those arms might be cantilevered beams coming in crab like from the sides.
Seems improbable but one wonders nevertheless.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I thought the "ring" was a narrow circular balcony with a donut hole in the middle...am I seeing a person on it in the rendering?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yeah, it's a party platform.
and Taliesin diving board balcony in the round.