Pieper House in AZ

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

AAC (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete) is a product that could be utilized.

Here is one supplier: http://www.e-crete.com/

AAC can be cut, drilled, nailed, grooved, routed, shaped, sculpted, carved, coated, floated, screwed into and milled with common tools. AAC anchors can be hammered directly into the block work and AAC fasteners can be utilized for a wide variety of commercial and residential decorating applications.

AAC has exceptional thermal insulating qualities. An E-Crete wall provides solid insulation, without the thermal bridging (cold spots) associated with through-wall framing members or fasteners.

Buildings constructed with E-Crete tend to be cooler in summer and warmer in winter. As a result, the building's air conditioning or heating use may be lower and makes the use of additional thermal insulation unnecessary. Customers reported lower utility bills.

In addition to greatly moderating the interior temperature, this lag time allows energy consumption to be shifted to off-peak hours, a benefit to power companies. In many temperate environments, an 8-inch-thick AAC wall provides more than the required thermal protection without additional insulation. Better temperature and humidity control provides greater comfort for building occupants.

A test was done on a 10" AAC wall. The outside of the wall was painted black to maximize heat absorption from the sun. A thermometer was placed on the exterior and interior surfaces of the wall to measure its temperature changes over a twenty-four hour period. The exterior surface fluctuated over 126 degrees farenheight while the interior surface fluctuated only +2 degrees farenheight.

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

wow--thanks for the link, Paul. It almost seems like a miracle product.

Is the UA 2.0 far behind?

DRN

Post by DRN »

Bringing this thread forward post-outage.
Keywords: Pieper, Arthur, Paradise Valley, Usonian Automatic

Also, links to other pre-outage threads on Pieper and the Charles Montooth house next door which is often mistaken for Pieper:

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... e1d80f566f

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 08cb474747

juankbedoya

Re:

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Mon May 09, 2011 1:53 pm

© W A Storrer, "The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion"

DRN photos:

These pictures of the Pieper house were taken in September 1996 while the house's addition and remuddling were underway. The contractor let me wander the house freely. During the hour or so I spent there, I got a good sense of how a Usonian Automatic was assembled by watching portions of it be disassembled. The house interior was stripped of all casework, fixtures and appliances, and a new drywall ceiling had just been taped and spackled. According to the contractor, all steel sash windows and doors were to be sandblasted, reglazed and reinstalled...reinstallation was underway in the fomer bedrooms...living room had not yet been touched. The addition (3 or 4 times the size of the original) connected at the northeast face of the original where the bedroom "tail" met the living/dining "head". The stacked blocks were those removed for the connection. The exterior of the house (except for the window blocks) was to be covered with EIFS to introduce wall insulation to the single wythe only UA construction. Apparently, the house was a true prototype in that it had single wythe walls and a wood framed roof. Some surfaces of the block had received a milky gray cement wash intended to provide a uniform/finish color...the tan color seen on most surfaces was the original color of the block/house interior. The house had an intimate feel, and the block and windows created a strong rhythm that distracted me from the rather "rough" character of the "unfinished" concrete surfaces. The lack of insulation in the walls...single thin concrete membrane...led the interior to be quite hot, as it was mid-day with a temperature of 98F or so; it made me want to build a white canvas tent over the house to shade it.
Looking back on my visit to the house I find its loss even sadder now, knowing how enjoyable it is to live in a spartan example of Wright's late work. The Pieper house was a rare insight into the experimentation that went on between the textile block houses of the 20's and the more polished Usonian Automatics of the '50's.

DRN

I have "discovered" this house today. I had never heard about the Pieper house before... The current floor plan shows a single story small house but the pictures shows a bigger house with two stories... it seem that with the addition we can't consider Pieper like a Wright's house no longer..?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6430 ... 0711_zpid/?

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ar ... ew/google/

SDR

Re: Pieper House in AZ

Post by SDR »

The first illustrations on the previous page show the original house. Not sure where the "current" floor plan is found . . .

Additions to Wright houses are a problem for researchers. I don't know of a single resource for plans of houses as they appear today. Storrer occasionally shows expanded plans, but only where the addition(s) were designed during Wright's lifetime.

S

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

It seems that nothing remains of the original?

DRN, do you have more pictures and would you be willing to share them?

SDR

Post by SDR »

The original house is at lower left. Copper cube is not chimney, which is L-shaped masonry just to its left.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I used this Virtual Globetrotting page to find the Pieper house. (The German pronunciation we use would have this name as Peep-er. Is that right ?) But the VG site does not show the right house. A number of neighboring houses are also indicated; none of them is named for Charles Montooth. Is any of them the Montooth---which is supposed to be next door to Pieper ?

https://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/ar ... ew/google/

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Pieper is listed in Storrer at 6442 East Cheney Road. That is almost correct. 6442 E. Cheney Drive (which may have been part of the original Pieper property), at the corner of Cheney and North 65th Street, sports a large, adobe-esqe house. Next door, to the west, at 6430, is the Pieper House, swallowed up by additions. It is not a 2-story house; it just has a high ceiling over the original living room. Only the original structure is UA. Additions use CMU. From the road, it cannot be seen, but there is a block signpost by the street with the address on it.

One would have to hunt for FLW in that confused mess.

SDR

Post by SDR »

While we have you, Roderick, is the Montooth residence visible on my aerial view above ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There are several houses nearby, but they all look rather generic. Given that Montooth was a fine architect, I doubt any of the houses are his, unless some later owner has submerged it within additions, as has happened to Pieper.