Laurent House for sale. Also, related items on eBay.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Laurent House for sale. Also, related items on eBay.

Post by DavidC »

Was surfing eBay and saw a listing for Frank Lloyd Wright Signed Letter Autograph Architecture, which has 22 letters of correspondence (11 signed by FLW and 11 signed by Gene Masselink) related to the Laurent House (Rockford, Il - 1949) up for auction - with a starting bid of $18,000 and a Buy It Now of $23,000.

There is also a link to a site with pics and video of the Laurent House, which is up for sale.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Cashing in on history -- it's the third-oldest profession ! :roll:

SDR

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

Just for the record, a post was deleted from this conversation

JimM

Post by JimM »

Laurent is an often forgotten masterpiece, a perfection of simplicity. The slicing of an arc of windows into a rectangular volume, and counterbalanced by the most private low walled terrace I have ever seen, was Wright at his best. Gems like these are perhaps better examples of his genius than the "well knowns".

I've always loved this house.

PNB

Post by PNB »

One of the things I enjoy most about this site is sometimes discovering a house I had little or no knowledge of - sometimes it is an oh thats nice feeling other times its a Wow! The Laurent home is definitely a Wow! What a beautiful house - thanks for sharing!

JimM

Post by JimM »

Apparently, the letters on Ebay are related to the house being for sale, and obviously they have been with it over the years.

Opinion:

They are important to its history, just as glass art or furniture is to any Wright house, and it's unfortunate they will not remain with it. Surely a fair market value for them could have been incorporated into the sales price. What's another $10 or $20K to what this property will go for?

Even odder to me is that it's the Laurent's doing this!

(I hope that opinion is not considered character assassination).

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I heard at the recent FLWBC conference in Chicago that this house might become another Wright Wrental. :D

Has anybody else heard this?

RJH

Post by RJH »

The Laurent house is not original. Jack Howe put an addition on the house nearly doubling the size and irreversibly changing the footprint of the opus. There were other modifications made as well. There used to be a solid brick wall so your back is turned away from the carport. Now, a hole was cut in for a window. Also, wall A/C were cut in the BRs brick walls. The long exterior garden wall was also cut out for what looks like a plywood door.

You have to keep in mind these small Usonians gems ranged from 1,100 sft for Euchtman to about 1,900 sft for Mathews. The average I would guess was about 1,300 sft. Haynes is 1,411 and due to the compact nature is like living on a wooden ship. Any modification if not done by FLW truly affects the overall scale and success of the design. And, of course, the market value of the property.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

PNB wrote:One of the things I enjoy most about this site is sometimes discovering a house I had little or no knowledge of - sometimes it is an oh thats nice feeling other times its a Wow! The Laurent home is definitely a Wow! What a beautiful house - thanks for sharing!

Happy to have found the link and glad you enjoyed it. Laurent is the first of the FLW curvilinear homes that I found that I liked. This was especially the case after seeing Futagawa's pictures of it in the #7 Selected Houses. Then, after having driven past the home twice as well as seeing other pictures of it in "FLW: The Homes" and Storrer's "Companion" I've become a big fan of this true gem.

David

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

This is one of the very few homes that is still occupied by the original owner. This was probably the first home that was ADA compliant, since the owner has always been in a wheelchair.
Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RJH

Post by RJH »

You really have to go inside to formally draw any conclusions that “all it needs….� and “there are no hideous modifications.�

I have been inside over 20 Wright Usonians. Virtually all of them have “issues.� The only exception I know is Zimmerman which is absolutely perfectly re$tored. If someone is interested in buying a Wright house, I would strongly suggest overlooking these flaws or else you will NEVER be a Wright homeowner. I played that game with another Wright house I was planning to buy. I brought in a professional contractor who gave me an off the charts price to totally repair a sagging cantilever and who personally told me “I was crazy for even considering buying this house.� It was a deal breaker for me and in retrospect I regret walking. It eventually sold (at full asking price). After that, all I had was back to reading the FLW books.

If you want a Wright house with “new construction� you can talk to the few owners of the Legacy Houses. I was told by the owner of the Legacy House for sale in Cincinnati that if they went with the original Newman design their builder quoted them $1.2M-$1.5M.

Haynes also has issues. But, I easily overlook them because the house gives me such joy and pleasure. I can’t describe it.

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

Original Laurent blueprint on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wright- ... 27bc425ff6

JPB_1971

Post by JPB_1971 »

And as I'm sure most are aware here, several pieces of furniture from Laurent were also recently sold at auction...hope all is well with the owners...