Apprentice House in Montgomery AL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
johnnyapollo

Apprentice House in Montgomery AL

Post by johnnyapollo »

I was sent this listing in Montgomery, AL (it's a real estate listing and I'm not the seller). I thought about the similarity of this house to some of Robert Green's designs and upon further research, it turns out the architect Dean Vollendorf is/was indeed a Wright Fellow - sort of Alabama's version of Robert Green (in GA). I thougtht some of you might be interested - check out the link for photos. Make sure you load the virtual tour - lots of good detailed images in there.

The Montgomery, Alabama neighborhood of Cloverdale a few outstanding midcentruy modern homes. Here is one that is on the market, very unusual: http://www.hatteam.com/house_hunter/house.asp?id=1204 . This is the text of the webpage and a virtual tour is available.

Own a bit of Montgomery history, "The Flintstone House" as it is known to the locals. Designed by Dean Vollendorf this Mid-Century Modern home is a prime example of Frank Lloyd Wright influenced style of organic architecture. Inside you will find splendid views from this circular layout where all rooms, except the one front bedroom, open to the circular shaped pool area. Components that are used in the design of the home are Phillipine mahogany, Marble from North Alabama, skylights, and the most unusual bar stools. This is truly the most unusual house and a must see! The floor plan is great for entertaining and the house itself is such a conversation piece. Although this property has numerous issues, once inside, you will appreciate its uniqueness, charm and character. Note, Pebbles and Bam Bam not included.

-- John
"Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right."
-Henry Ford

http://www.modusmodern.com
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com
http://modernwoodworking.blogspot.com

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for posting this.
I see influences of both Wright and Goff. Wright in the wood detailing; Goff in the general form and the role the stone forms play in the composition. I particularly like how the minimally framed mitered corner glass blurs the enclosure between the window walls and the stone masses.
Great house.

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

Wonder what the "numerous issues" entail?

DRN

Post by DRN »

In the pics, I saw some staining of woodwork indicating past or present roof leaking and the pool shell looked to be in need of replastering and possibly some structural repair.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's a trick to achieve a rough and shaggy stone surface that nevertheless retains an orderly, "architectural" appearance. That trick wasn't available to the masons who built this interesting and unusual house, I'd say. Still, what was built seems to be internally consistent -- and the contrast between stone, wood and glass is as compelling here as in any of Wright's work.

Thanks for the peek ! SDR