Fallingwater Paperweight

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Deke

Fallingwater Paperweight

Post by Deke »

I've sculpted some very classy Fallingwater paperweights that I'd like to sell. I'd welcome feedback. If someone can tell me how to post a photo I'll put one up. I though of putting a picture on Flickr, but can't log on there for some reason...maybe it's a Mac thing.

Deke

Deke

Post by Deke »

Okay, trying to post a photo based on the instructions in another thread.

Deke

Post by Deke »

Okay, clearly that didn't work, but at least the picture is up on photobucket:

s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg220/Deke29/?action=view&current=Fallingmodel.jpg

The paperweight is about 4"x3" and about 4" tall, made of cold cast bronze, which is bronze powder mixed in resin. The landscape is sculpted so it's clear how the building fits into it. The home itself is a massing model with volumes based on the actual designs. It struck me how de stijl-like this project is.

I'm hoping this board will act as my market research before approaching gift-shops. I'm thinking of a price point of $45. Any thoughts?

Deke

SDR

Post by SDR »

URL addresses must begin with http://

Not sure what's wrong with the URL for your photo.

Deke

Post by Deke »

Trying this again:

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yeah, I tried that. I'm not sure I've seen a number like that s249 at the beginning of a URL before. . .

Punch up your photo at photobucket again and copy the whole thing, http and all. . .?

Michael Shuck

Fallingwater Model url

Post by Michael Shuck »

It works if you remove the img stuff...

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg22 ... gmodel.jpg

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm. Well, I think the material choice is good. Reminds me of the legendary Cord models delivered to depositors waiting for their new cars in 1936, when the company was having start-up trouble on the assembly line.

Is the house accurately proportioned -- ie, in scale ? That would be critical. I think it looks ok -- though I'd be happier if the base was cut off just below the bottom of the waterfall, I think.

SDR

Deke

Post by Deke »

Thanks for the input. The bronze material looks very sharp and I'm also experimenting with a pewter version. The size of the base gives the piece a good heft and also something to grab onto. Any other comments? Suggestions on where these might be sold?

Deke

SDR

Post by SDR »

The base needs some definition of form if it's to be that big; a (roughly) cylindrical slug just doesn't cut it. . .in my opinion. A perfect cylinder, with a crisp bottom edge. . .maybe ?

I assume you can deal with those "runs" below the waterfall ? (Please don't tell me those are intentional ! :roll: )

SDR

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

I agree with SDR, the base is WAY too big. Maybe leave at max 1" below the waterfall edge.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's a difference between a paperweight and a doorstop, after all. . .!

Best wishes. Where to sell it ? Buy a FLW structure and open a gift shop ?

SDR

Deke

Post by Deke »

I'll take another look at the base depth. I wanted it to sit up high, but may be this is too high. I had thought about putting it on a wood base, but the simpler straight edges felt better. The proportions are accurate to the actual building.

Deke

SDR

Post by SDR »

Maybe a nice cylinder of walnut (the wood used at Fallingwater) or stone (?) matching the diameter of the casting ? I know this greatly raises the cost. . .

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Deke: I think the sculpture looks great; well rendered with proper proportions.
I agree with SDR's suggestion about a cylindrical base form. The pure geometries of the house are in too sharp contrast with the sides of the base. The suggestion of stylized water in parallel vertical striations on the base downstream of the falls as in the Jester model, might integrate the house sculpture to the base more effectively.

Suggestions for marketing opportunities: Fallingwater gift shop (or any of a number of Wright site gift shops), Wright Preservation Trust catalog, AIA chapter book stores (Philadelphia).