Rose and Gertrude Pauson house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Deke:Thank You. The materials for the house took a long time to find. The modeling also took a long time with several different revisions to the materials the siding but I think it is my best work so far with Sketchup. Can you take photos of the model in Maya? What ever you find out on the Pauson house that I missed can you tell me.
JAT
Jeff T

Deke

Post by Deke »

The most interesting factoid I've found upon studying the various plans as the Getty was the original bedroom wing of the house that extended at a right angle from the current in-line plan at the opposite end from the living room.

Deke

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Deke- In your study of the photos at the Getty, did you happen to notice any building sheet showing the early perforated board unit design? Any information you have will help us plan more productive and efficient upcoming study trips. Thanks from the east side of the Mississippi.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I uploaded a video to Youtube. Yes you can make videos of Sketchup Models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QhfCUwq ... annel_page
JAT
Jeff T

DRN

Post by DRN »

Great video Jeff.

The movement through the galleries and smaller rooms is a bit disorienting...but I suspect that is due to the difficulty in lighting the windowless spaces, the limited cone of vision of the viewer, and the sameness of the wood grain on most surfaces.

The walk-up and fly over are very revealing...thanks for the effort.

Now, more than ever, I am convinced the Pauson house was a masterpiece; to me, it's Wright's best desert project.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

DRN: Well I have a hard time making videos of my models and the scenes don't do well for navigating. I don't know how other people do it but I wish they could share the secret. For the Record,Sketchup has no interior light for Rendering interior spaces the only lighting in the model(s) is the sun but I keep telling Sketchup to put in a plug-in for interior lighting so models can be better lit and it can render better. back to the subject, It is a great House and Building it was fun but the movie was hard. Thank you for the comments.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Jeff -- great job with the video, especially considering all the challenges of the process. Thanks for carrying it through. The paths are thoughtfully
and skillfully chosen; the initial approach is exactly what one would have hoped for -- though the "back way" into the living room, rather than the
formal path next to the chimney, is a surprise, perhaps. (Makes us feel like one of the family, rather than a guest -- that's good !). The ending,
back where the video started, is the perfect choice. Beautifully done.

I note that, in the initial turn into the dining space, the "lights" come on briefly -- helpful in delineating form, as noted above. So maybe it's
possible ?

I approve (I think) of stone paving in the upstairs baths. The kitchen looks good too. Thanks again for "tying the bow" on this job.

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Jeff - thanks for putting the model and fly-through together. The more I learn of Pauson, the more I am agreeing with DRN that it truly was one of Wright's masterpieces.

David

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I am making a better animation it is a smoother animation.
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_mAZA4o ... annel_page
This is the newer, better,smoother animation.
JAT
Jeff T

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Jeff, fine video of a masterpiece on a par with Willey, Fallingwater, Jacobs I & II and Lamberson! Who was the woman on the terrace, Rose or Gert?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Well I just put 2 people in the model as scale. It can be either one.
JAT
Jeff T

wjsaia

Post by wjsaia »

SDR wrote:I was hoping to add the two color photos I have seen of the house but couldn't find them.SDR
Yes, I had also been thinking of two I'd seen . . . FOUND THEM! Are these the ones?
Roderick Grant wrote:SDR, John Geiger took some color photos of Pauson, which he will eventually post, once his site is up. I also saw a color photo by a fashion photographer of model Diana Vreeland standing at the south terrace where the upper level balcony starts less than 6 feet above the terrace floor; FLW playing tricks with scale again ... his version of trompe l'oeil. The house must have drawn people quickly, considering the brief time between the introduction of color film and the fire that destroyed Pauson.
From the January 1942 issue of Harper's Bazaar:

Image Ektachrome by Louise Dahl-Wolfe

Image Ektachrome by Louise Dahl-Wolfe

WJS

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Ummmmm..... I can't view them.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Excellent, WJS -- I've never seen those. The upper one has the color a bit "pushed," I guess; the second might be more natural. Love both of them !
The scale issue that Mr Grant mentions is very apparent, isn't it. These could almost be Hollywood (or New York) studio sets, couldn't they ?

But these aren't the ones I was thinking of ! The ones I've seen (like the vast majority of Wright photos) contain no human figures. So, that 's four
color photos identified so far. (It's hard to believe that the photo sessions that produced the fashion photos here, wouldn't have recorded additional
negatives as well -- perhaps never published or even printed ?)

Thanks for the research -- SDR