Rose and Gertrude Pauson house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
g.dorn

Re: Rose and Gertrude Pauson house

Post by g.dorn »

Those late afternoon sun photos certainly capture the colour of the building and landscape.

I can remember when I was at Taliesin west (august 1994) and even though it was hot - it was a heavy heat. Here in Australia our desert heat is sweltering, but nearly always with a gentle breeze.

These colour photos kinda look like it wasn't that hot - she is bare feat on the stone! - and no beads of perspiration!
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm a life-long Wright-o-phile who's never been to Arizona. Others will have to compare notes with you on that front. I would love an "immersive" experience in which even odors, room temperature, relative humidity, and air movement accompanied a full-color holographic---or physical---recreation of "Shiprock." I have yet to try goggle VR . . . but I imagine that would be the course of action at present ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

In the meantime I'll have to be satisfied by the digital models made by any of several artists. Spanish architect David Romero has built a dandy and delectable Pauson house; see that, and his Larkin Administration Building, here:

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/12/21/hooke ... id-romero/

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:26 pm
I'm a life-long Wright-o-phile who's never been to Arizona. Others will have to compare notes with you on that front. I would love an "immersive" experience in which even odors, room temperature, relative humidity, and air movement accompanied a full-color holographic---or physical---recreation of "Shiprock." I have yet to try goggle VR . . . but I imagine that would be the course of action at present ? S
g.dorn & SDR ... The last photo showing Diana Vreeland with her head up against the wooden balcony ... shows her looking almost straight south, but the shadow of her head is low and slightly to the east, indicating the photo was undoubtedly taken in mid-winter ... fairly late in the afternoon ... perhaps around 3 or even 4 PM ... tea-time at Taliesin West. The first photo of the woman with the umbrella ... was undoubtedly taken much earlier, when the sun was in the Eastern sky. Afternoon weather would probably have been comfortably pleasant ... neither cool nor hot.

N.B. Don't know about the Aussie desert in winter, but in Arizona the average low in November and January is about 44 degrees F, while the average high ranges between 65-70. Average low and high temperatures in December are 40 and 65

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

From the PDF

https://exhibitions.fitnyc.edu/women-of ... ochure.pdf

“Flight to the Valley of the Sun,” a 1942 shoot in Arizona that produced what Vreeland biographer Eleanor Dwight called a “stunning moment in fashion reporting,” is an example. Photographs of the women on location document Vreeland as a stylist: she can be seen arranging a model’s headscarf while Dahl- Wolfe captures the scene.

from
https://exhibitions.fitnyc.edu/women-of ... 6-1958.pdf

"Dahl-Wolfe and Vreeland created this image on a deserted lm set near Phoenix. Where Dahl-Wolfe was methodical, Vreeland was amboyant, but both were committed to getting the perfect shot. When model Bijou Barrington developed heatstroke, Vreeland stepped in to replace her without compromising the success of the shoot."

Louise Dahl-Wolfe Color proof
Bijou Barrington wearing Jay Thorpe at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Rose Pauson house in Phoenix, Arizona
Harper’s Bazaar, January 1942, p. 41
The Museum at FIT, 74.84.355

Louise Dahl-Wolfe Color proof
Diana Vreeland wearing Jay Thorpe at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Rose Pauson House in Phoenix, Arizona
Harper’s Bazaar, January 1942, p. 40
The Museum at FIT, 74.84.356

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Last edited by g.dorn on Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Ive received drawings from the Avery archives 63 sheets.
many plans showing different layouts and variations
including:

an early concept plan -possibly by FLW circa may 1935? ( says 535)
various studies in plan of different arrangements such as;
roof garden over utility with 3rd level over living room
canvas roof over entry
extension of the entry out over the hill
extension beyond the utility room - court + guest bedroom + sitting room with stairs going up to another level
change of utility room to servant room
plan + section of air conditioning/ventilation system which incorporates a "desert cooler" in the masonry
lower terrace design
section details of stepped walls - note vertical stud at 10' centrs
perf board design with FLW tick of approval
extension to street level carport and pump house behind

very interesting how it evolved.
hopefully we can get permission to post some of these drawings
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

Very cool.
I emailed and asked for the structural drawings to project 3602.
- cantilevered house over a stream in western PA.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Sorry if I missed this discussion, but when you say you've received drawings, do you mean that Avery is sending you digital files? Can anyone order materials from them?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Matt---see recent discussion here: http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 7&start=60

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Yes, saw that thread about copyright notices....but is the Avery sending digital files on request? What process is involved as I have seen nothing on their website about such a service?

Tom

Post by Tom »

I saw nothing on the website about this either.
But looks like Avery has sent files to two people on this forum.
So I’ve sent in my request too.
We shall see

SDR

Post by SDR »

I don't recall seeing this flickr album before---hard to believe, as it begins in 2003, before Wright Chat launched, and runs through 2009. There are color photos I can't say I've seen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/donkeyfun ... 100018689/

Our Tom contributed to the comments, so it is inconceivable that the album hadn't been linked, somewhere in these pages.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

I joined WrightChat the same year that I was respondong to these Pauson shots on Flickr.
It's very possible I did not link to WrighChat because I didn't know how.
I think I stumbled upon WightChat after I saw these Flickr shots.
I remember, vaguely, being amazed at finding shots of Pauson on the computer.
Don't think I'd ever seen that much of Pauson before. It was a thrill.
Hence some of my comments strike me now as giddy.