Unbuilt homes.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Of course, I forgot! the Boswell I in Cincinatti. The first "draft" of their house–too small for the brood of active children. The house is on the market and it is a good time to see it since it is in a gated community.

There are indeed 12 FLW Houses: the 1902 John E. Mosher residence was built in a small town 10 miles south of Oberlin- Wellington. Scholars have been discussing this for years because a revised plan has not been located to but it to rest.
Last edited by Palli Davis Holubar on Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Palli Davis Holubar

Of course, I forgot! Boswell I in Cincinatti. The first "draft" of their house–too small for the brood of active children. The house is on the market now and it is a good time to see it since it is in a gated community.

There are indeed 12 FLW Houses: the 1902 John E. Mosher residence was built in a small town 10 miles south of Oberlin- Wellington. Scholars have been discussing this for years because a revised plan has not been located to but it to rest.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Boswell has sold, according to the Conservancy. Storrer has deleted Mosher from the canon; it appears to have been designed by MMG.

Palli Davis Holubar

Mosher attribution may not be resolved.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Has Mosher been published ?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I got that wrong, mixed up with another house; Storrer still says Mosher is FLW, and includes a few pictures of it on his site. I'm not convinced. It looks more like William Drummond to me. The art glass doesn't ring true at all. Also, mea culpa, Boswell sold and is back on the market again!

SDR

Post by SDR »

I can't find Mosher on Professor Storrer's site, Roderick. Can you tell me where to look ?

Stephen

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

MHOLUBAR

Post by MHOLUBAR »

Storrer has restored the Mosher house to his listing recently and we have been trying to track down some of the local history. The original client John Mosher worked with Ward Willits in their Chicago Foundry (Brass, I believe). I assume that they made hardware and other items. The address listed on the plan shows up near the Willits house. John Mosher's father bought farmland near Wellington, Ohio. John Mosher himself had applied for and received several patents for making camera shutter assemblies and parts. We believe that he took the FLW plans to Wellington to join his family and run his own business there. The house was certainly built without the benefit of the architect as there were definite departures from the plans, which make the house less attractive.
mholubar

MattCline

Post by MattCline »

I did some research on that house a couple of years ago. The lady who owned it at the time let me in and have a look around. I took several pictures to detail both floor layouts and some architectural details.

Based on the research I did with the original drawings for the house and what I saw, it is clear that someone altered the plans enough to be a departure from the original vision. However, it also retrains a lot of the original overall concept as well. Both the FLWBC and the FLW Foundation were unwilling to consider it an authentic Wright designed home for what I recall to be solid reasons. But it is an important house none the less.

I don't know who currently owns the house (I know its not the lady that owned it was I photographed it), so I am reluctant to publish interior photos. I may try and post some I took of the exterior when I get the chance.
Matt Cline
Web Site / Chat Moderator

SDR

Post by SDR »

It seems to belong with the Lake Delavan work, of the same year(s) ?

Doubtful that Wright would have chosen those classical moldings. . .!

SDR

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

Here's a link to some photos taken last summer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98315875@N00/2092222986/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Those Wrightian hipped roofs are just unmistakable, aren't they ? And the insistent corner windows. . .

SDR

MattCline

Post by MattCline »

Here are some interior and exterior shots (placed in a quicktime movie format) of the house from about 2004. I have many more of the interior, but I don't think I will post them for issues of privacy of the owner.

http://www.alliedinformation.com/wright ... nHouse.mov
Matt Cline
Web Site / Chat Moderator

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The overall scale, upstairs corner windows over downstairs row, the way the porch is not centered on the house, all that tells me that if Mosher started with a FLW plan, he altered it to such an extent that it is no more FLW than Robert Mueller.