Unbuilt homes.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
tpugh

Unbuilt homes.

Post by tpugh »

Is it possible to see unbuilt home designs of Wright's work? What is the process of getting a plan built?

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

There is a book entitled "Treasures of Taliesin" Unbuild projects of Frank lloyd Wright.. Or something along those lines. It is very cool. You should be able to find it on Amazon. I believe the Legacy program (Program where unbuilt Wright Designs were allowed to be built) is terminated. But there are others on here that could speak to this better.

george nichols

Re: Unbuilt homes.

Post by george nichols »

tpugh wrote:Is it possible to see unbuilt home designs of Wright's work? What is the process of getting a plan built?
Probably the largest,but not complete listing of unbuilt projects is in the 8 vols. of the FLlW Monographs.

G.N.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation (http://www.franklloydwright.org/) in Scottsdale, which owns the designs, could tell you about the legal aspects.

Deke

Post by Deke »

While the foundation owns copyrights on Wright's drawings, the designs themselves are not protected. So oddly enough while copying the drawings (making a poster for example) requires their approval, copying the design itself doesn't. Of course, an architect sensitive to FLW's style would be essential to bring the design up to current code. I've been tempted to build some smaller designs...maybe one of those Ocatillo temporary structures...just for fun. If you have the bucks, please build the Booth house...a terrific unbuilt Prairie home.

Deke

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Building Booth would be costly enough, but building the site to accommodate it would be over the top. The houses that could be built without too much controversy since they were intended to be adaptable are the Usonian Automatics. Theoretically they could be owner built.

Unbrook

Ocatillo

Post by Unbrook »

Where can you find plans of the Ocatillo camp? I don't want to build it, but the design has always interested me. I know I have seen, but can't remember where. I'd love to see the McCormick or the Miller/Monroe houses built.

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

The following houses are illustrated in "Treasures of Taliesin" (Southern Illnois University Press, 1985):

H J Ullman, Oak Park, 1904
Sherman Booth, Glencoe, 1911
Baron Goto, Tokyo, 1921
Lake Tahoe Summer Colony, 1922
Cudney and Young, Chandler, 1928
John Nesbitt, Carmel, 1940
Franklin Watkins, Barnegat, 1940
Cooperative Farmsteads, Detroit, 1942
Gerald Loeb, Redding, 1944
Alfred Bergman, St Petersburg, 1947
E L Marting, Northampton, 1947
Ayn Rand, 1947
Huntington Hartford, Hollywood, 1947
Vincent Sculley, Woodbridge, 1948
Goetsch-Winckler #2, Okemos, 1949
George Griswold, Greenwich, 1949
Robert Windfohr, Fort Worth, 1949
Raul Bailleres, Acapulco, 1952
V C Morris (scheme 2), San Francisco, 1954
Max Hoffman (scheme 1), Rye, 1955
Gerald Sussman, Rye, 1955
Arthur Miller, Roxbury, 1957

This is not, of course, a complete list of unexecuted residential designs.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Treasures of Taliesin is still available.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?title ... f+taliesin

EJ

Post by EJ »

I've heard that Ocatilla's remains were visiable for quite some time after it was abandoned.

Did anyone here ever visit there? What is on the site now?
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

DRN

Post by DRN »

I visited in Fall 1996. I was at the location noted by Storrer in his book. The mountains visible in the background of the Ocatillo photos are still there, but at the actual site, there is tract housing now, no traces to be found. Looks to have been developed in the 80's. TAA's late 1970's house of the future in Ahwatukee is a mile or less away from the site.

Palli Davis Holubar

unbuilt FLW in Ohio

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

To add to SRD's list of unbuilt designs from the TREASURES OF TALIESIN- At the W-J House we have identified from the Taliesin Monographs 6 unbuilt designs for the State of Ohio
1.) the E.L. Marting House, 1947 (in Treasures book) a solarhemiscycle, larger and "grander" than Jacobs II and without the tunnel, was to be sited north of Akron in what is now a National Forest;
2.) The Dr. and Mrs. Robert C. Miller House, 1942, a lovely brick house in the Willey mode with garden walls, in Fremont, (unbuilt because the Dr. was drafted);
3.) Mr. and Mrs. Joe Munroe House, 1946, Knox county (north of Columbus), a Usonia lovely structure on a slight hill for a photographer;
4.)The Hamilton Small Loans Co, 1957 (the company of Gerald Tonkens of the Cincinnati Tonkens Usonian Automatic) a great building with a vertical domed drive-in window for Hamilton north of Cincinnati;
5.)Mr. and Mrs. Ralph H. Colegrove House, in Hamilton; and, most importantly,
6.) the Louis Penfield House II, 1959 in Willoughby Hills, sited a few hundred feet from Penfield I. This house may still be built by Lou's son Paul on exactly the specified site. It is an important contrast to the 1953 Usonian, with a distinct similarity to the Hagan House. Lou was carrying stones from the rivershore on the property and got waylaid learning the skill to lay stone and co-authored a "how-to book" on the subject.

The W-J docents are compiling files on all Ohio FLW including these unbuilt structures and, of course, the 12 existing FLW house. My favorite choice to have seen built would have been the Marting hemicycle. The presentation perspective drawing is beautiful.

SRD: I wish I knew how to put our digital images on this website. Could you talk us through the steps on another topic post? Palli

SDR

Post by SDR »

Marting:

george nichols

Re: unbuilt FLW in Ohio

Post by george nichols »

Palli Davis Holubar wrote:To add to SRD's list of unbuilt designs from the TREASURES OF TALIESIN- At the W-J House we have identified from the Taliesin Monographs 6 unbuilt designs for the State of Ohio
1.) the E.L. Marting House, 1947 (in Treasures book) a solarhemiscycle, larger and "grander" than Jacobs II and without the tunnel, was to be sited north of Akron in what is now a National Forest;
2.) The Dr. and Mrs. Robert C. Miller House, 1942, a lovely brick house in the Willey mode with garden walls, in Fremont, (unbuilt because the Dr. was drafted);
3.) Mr. and Mrs. Joe Munroe House, 1946, Knox county (north of Columbus), a Usonia lovely structure on a slight hill for a photographer;
4.)The Hamilton Small Loans Co, 1957 (the company of Gerald Tonkens of the Cincinnati Tonkens Usonian Automatic) a great building with a vertical domed drive-in window for Hamilton north of Cincinnati;
5.)Mr. and Mrs. Ralph H. Colegrove House, in Hamilton; and, most importantly,
6.) the Louis Penfield House II, 1959 in Willoughby Hills, sited a few hundred feet from Penfield I. This house may still be built by Lou's son Paul on exactly the specified site. It is an important contrast to the 1953 Usonian, with a distinct similarity to the Hagan House. Lou was carrying stones from the rivershore on the property and got waylaid learning the skill to lay stone and co-authored a "how-to book" on the subject.

The W-J docents are compiling files on all Ohio FLW including these unbuilt structures and, of course, the 12 existing FLW house. My favorite choice to have seen built would have been the Marting hemicycle. The presentation perspective drawing is beautiful.

SRD: I wish I knew how to put our digital images on this website. Could you talk us through the steps on another topic post? Palli
PDH:
You omitted from your Ohio unbuilt
list the Boswell #1 (T5526).See pg.
386 of Vol.8.
In order not to confuse your docents,I think there are only 11
Wright buildings in the Buckeye state,not 12.
Incidently,I forgot that the most
complete list of all of FLlW bldgs.
is in the introductory material of
Alofsin's,"An Index to the Taliesin
Correspondence".

G.N.