Neils House (Minneapolis, MN) is up for sale!

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Neils owned a gravestone manufactory, and used culls for the house. He also had some connection to the aluminum industry, wherefore the use of a material FLW rarely if ever otherwise used.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I love the aluminum, and the choice of the stainless steel in the kitchen works especially well.

jay

Post by jay »

And what’s that ladder above the desk in #15?
They lead to sleeping lofts that seem to have been added for children...

Zillow only has a fraction of the photos that the "Spacecrafting" site has... I tried the SC site on Chrome, Safari, and Firefox on my (updated) Mac and they all work, so maybe its a cookies or firewall setting that's blocking it for you guys?

I notice they've also done a good job hiding a ductless mini split system... Picture #39 on the Spacecrafting site you can see a built-in vent above the closet door.

http://tours.spacecrafting.com/n-1vzm#&gid=1&pid=39

(The specific photo isn't linking or hostable either.... Clunky stuff)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- there it is. Thanks ! Great to have good pictures at last . . .

I had trouble in the last couple of days, following an Opera (browser) update that messed with the passwords on my computer (and those of other Opera users). Fixed now.

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

A photo of the house by Dave Anderson prompted me to wonder if the dominant gabled roofs were a contextual response; what do neighboring houses look like ?

A quick tour of the neighborhood via Google Street View yielded these scenes. The house immediately to the west of Neils has a prominent red-tiled hipped roof,
while other nearby houses exhibit a variety of styles with no cohesive theme.

Perhaps the most notable feature of these streets is the lush vegetation . . .

Perhaps the most interesting local house is found several doors west of the subject property.

Traveling east from there, toward the Neils house:

Immediately across the street from Neils is this charmless box:

Looking west:

About-face, continuing to the intersection with Burnham Rd, and a bit east from there:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Burnham Blvd. is little more than a service alley, sort of like Prospect Crescent in Pasadena.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Just a short walk from Lake of the Isles is Lake Calhoun, largest of 22 lakes in Minneapolis, named after John C. Calhoun, early USA Secretary of War and slave-owner. It was decided that he should not be memorialized because of his slave ownership (after about 180 years), so the name was reverted to the Dakota name, Bde Maka Ska (be-DAY' mah-KA' SKA), now named after a French bathroom facility.

DavidC

Re: Neils House (Minneapolis, MN) is up for sale!

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The living room rug is forceful.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Um . . . yes.

W A Storrer's photo is taken from just the same angle as the Sotheby's photo, but from further away. The new photo presents a unique image of the house and its roof.

This is the first I've heard of a mezzanine space. A ladder can be seen in a bedroom photo. It turns out to be a suspended bed platform. I wonder when that was constructed.

https://www.dwell.com/article/minneapol ... e-a8391589

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The photo with the flat screen TV was originally the maid's bedroom. The photo showing the washer and dryer is the service hall passing by the TV room.

How I wish I had $3.4M to spare. Beautiful house in the very best neighborhood in The Cities east of Lake Minnetonka.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »