Neils House (Minneapolis, MN) is up for sale!

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
dkottum

Re: Neils House (Minneapolis, MN) is up for sale!

Post by dkottum »

Would this floor have some kind of overlay?

Looking at the fireplace flagstone floor, there appears to be a raised metal edge separating the stone from the red flooring. The boards and lights at the steps may also provide cover for the edge of a new flooring material. Comparing the present floor to older photos, the present floor looks smoother and very evenly colored. As nice as new. I can see some unit marks in the floor, but they don't look as sharp or deep as in a typical Usonian floor.

Doug Kottum

SDR

Post by SDR »

The "overlay" may be nothing more than a coat of paint. And, I believe I've heard one homemaker complain of dust that tended to collect in her unit lines; perhaps more than one Usonian floor has had its "cracks" at least partially filled---sacrilege though that would be ?

In fact, there may be no two Usonian slabs that are exactly alike, given the possible variations in color, texture, and width, shape and depth to the grooves. I'm sure I've even seen one with the joint tooling characteristic of a city sidewalk !

I still don't find the "lights on the steps into the living room." Where did you see those, RG ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

The lights on the steps are in this link. It looks like the wood face on the risers might be a part of the work RG suggests also.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh. Thanks, Tom. I've looked and looked, and I don't see these steps. There are ten photos in that set; can you tell me which one to inspect ? Is it either one of the two living-room shots that I posted above ?

(I am reminded of the old couple in Scituate, MA, who in the 'fifties insisted that "Grosha Marx [sic] comes in on our TV at 7:00, not 8:00 !" . . .)

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Picture '5 of 10' shows the stair lights.

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right ? Left ? Up ? Down ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, I had not noticed the wood risers. You are definitely correct: They are an addition. Not too bad, nicely integrated.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, David. A remarkable image, not seen before---certainly not in that group of ten images---on my "TV," anyway !

S

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:53 am
Tom, I had not noticed the wood risers. You are definitely correct: They are an addition. Not too bad, nicely integrated.
Why wooden risers at the stairs? Why a little raised metal edge separating the fireplace flagstone floor from the red flooring?
Maybe the red flooring is now an overlay of Vinyl?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I suppose it's possible; it sure is shiny and smooth. If so, that would be another variant to add to the list . . .

S

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

The stair (Night) lights were added by Neils daughter Mary McGee and they seem a little bright in the photo . The Neils house floor was originally red linoleum but it looks like new linoleum in the photos or they worked a miracle on the old floor

SDR

Post by SDR »

Linoleum---that is different---possibly unique ? Is the floor wood frame, or a slab ?

Storrer missed that trick. But he did inform his readers about other aspects of the design and the clients---and shows a side chair that's a near clone of one designed for the Hanna's dining room.