FLW NY/New England

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jrdet10

FLW NY/New England

Post by jrdet10 »

All --
We're traveling to New York City and New England next week. We hope to see the three Pleasantville houses and the two in New Hampshire. But according to Heinz, seeing many of the others is difficult if not impossible. Is it worth the trouble to try to get a glimpse of Zaferiou, Chahroudi, Massaro, Hoffman, Sander, Rayward or Baird? And can anyone offer a specific location for the Monroe/Miller project?

Thanks in advance.
"Well, there you are!"

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Baird is quite invisible from the street (except, they tell me, in winter). Don't bother.

Lots of non-Wright to see in New England. Le Corbusier's Carpenter Center at Harvard. Breuer's house in Lincoln. Kahn's library at Phillips Exeter in New Hampshire (you should call ahead to see what the rules for campus visits are).

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Charoudi/Massaro is not visible from shore without binoculars. They are only accessible by boat.

flwright

Post by flwright »

You will thoroughly enjoy yourself on the tour of the Zimmerman House -- it is a spectacular building wonderfully detailed. I was absolutely amazed when I left there since it is probably one of Wright's premiere residences. The only downsides are that you cannot take pictures inside (although I turned off the flash of my camera and randomly took pictures behind my back), the lighting is kept ultra dim to preserve the fabric and such (making it very difficult to take good pictures behind your back) and you are not permitted to sit on anything even though I felt an overwhelming sense to sit down and take it all in.

The tour operators (Courrier Museum) are incredibly knowledgeable about Frank Lloyd Wright, the Zimmermans, the building and the city. They'll even drive you up and down the street a half-dozen times to get a good look at the privately owned Kalil House just down the street. I highly recommend returning back to the site after the tour is done to get even more photographs, even though we were fortunate enought to be locked outside of the Zimmerman for an extra 30 minutes while the driver went back to the museum to fetch the front door key he forgot!
Morgan

pharding

Post by pharding »

You may wish to consider visiting Philip Johnson's Glass House in New Canaan, Connecticut. It is now open to the public.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hoffman is in a gated enclave. . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Rebhuhn in Great Neck can be seen from the street. It's a great house.

Craig

Post by Craig »

You cannot see the Rayward (Tiranna) from the street in New Canaan, CT since it is on a large lot but there is plenty of other modern (including Johnson's Glass House. Last I read it was already booked into 2008 though.
ch

jrdet10

Post by jrdet10 »

Thanks to all of you for your input. Lots o' Googling failed to turn up a location for the Arthur Miller project, but I did find an article about a 1993 recreation of the house in Hawaii by Rattenberger et al. Thoughts?
"Well, there you are!"

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

If the Millers had a site picked out, this might be in the letters or drawings in the Wright archives. You can access them on microfiche at the Getty Center in LA; presumably they'll still make copies and mail them to you for a small charge ($.15/page in 1991).

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Arthur Miller talks about walking with FLW to the site of the proposed house, so there must have been a plot in mind, but where that is, I cannot say.

RJH

Post by RJH »

Last edited by RJH on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

george nichols

Post by george nichols »

Pssst...RJH,Tennesse Williams wrote
"Streetcar"