Robert Green Links?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Education Professor

Robert Green Links?

Post by Education Professor »

Are there any websites about Robert Green's work? I believe that Mr. Green maintained an official website prior to his passing. Does anyone have a saved copy of his website that could be posted to this forum? Any information that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Education Professor

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

John Edwards

Robert Green

Post by John Edwards »

I met Robert Green's son a couple of years ago and am trying to contact him to pass along his contact info to you. I think the son maintained the website for a while. He left the country for some time after his father's death but I believe he returned and I think he lives in the Atlanta area. I will post the information if he's still out there.
John

SDR

Post by SDR »

The website maintained by Robert Green's son was a gem; many many photos of the architect's residences, the oversized images large enough to "swim around in." It was my introduction to the work, another interesting series of responses to Wrightian principles as practiced by an original thinker and form-maker.

I would encourage Mr Green Jr to restore this treasure if possible. SDR

SpringGreen

Internet Archive of Robert Green site

Post by SpringGreen »

I checked on the Internet Archive and was able to pull up Robert Green's site from 2003. Luckily, the archived site also includes photographs of Green's work (the archiving site isn't always able to save images).

The site is here.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Spring Green. That's great. . . I knew I stayed home this afternoon for a reason !

SDR

SpringGreen

You're welcome

Post by SpringGreen »

*bows*

I moonlight as a web babe when not engaged in Frankophile activities. That's how I can afford my extravagant lifestyle.

Seriously, I'm very happy that I was able to bring Robert Green's website to the people of this forum. And, as I alluded to before, sometimes the sites on the Internet Archive no longer have any images associated with them, so it's great that people can still see his work.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm not computer-savvy -- a latecomer and a slow learner -- and wasn't aware that there was an Internet Archive. Is it available to the average shmoe-on-the-street ? Do I have to wipe my feet and take off my hat ?

SDR

SpringGreen

Internet archive URL

Post by SpringGreen »

I'm not really a web babe. I can do ok as long as it's not too complicated. "Web babe" just sounds impressive.
and wasn't aware that there was an Internet Archive. Is it available to the average shmoe-on-the-street ?

The Internet Archive is a public site and does not require membership or signing up. Its URL is:
http://www.archive.org/index.php

Archived websites are available through "the wayback machine", located near the top of the page. Type in the website address that you want, and you will be taken to a page showing the dates of snapshots that were taken of the website in question. You can click on any date and it will take you to those archived snapshots. That's why I went back to 2003 for Robert Green's site - the more recent archives of the site just showed the site basically as it looks today, with the URL up for sale. I just kept checking until I found what I was looking for.

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

I sincerely appreciate everyone's reply to my posting. To Paul Ringstrom, I appreciate the link to the jetsetmodern article about Mr. Green. To John Edwards, thanks for the information about Mr. Green's son. I would enjoy talking with him about his father's work. To SDR, I agree that it would be great if Mr. Green's son would restore the website. Finally, many, many thanks to SpringGreen for posting the Internet Archive of Mr. Green's website from 2003. I have thoroughly enjoyed reviewing the website. Plus, I learned about the Internet archive service!

Many, many thanks everyone. I thoroughly enjoy being a part of this discussion board. I learn something new almost every day.

Education Professor

KevinW

Robert Green

Post by KevinW »

I found it a bit strange that Greens son, over a period of a year or two was selling on eBay much of his fathers drawings, books, equipment, renderings, paintings, etc....But then perhaps it was a desparate situation.
KevinW

synthetic space

Post by synthetic space »

Supposedly the following house in Atlanta was an early Green work, although this was never formally confirmed. It was marketed as a Green house when it was renovated and put up for sale a year or two ago:

www.lisavail.com/modern.html

KevinW

Robert Green

Post by KevinW »

From what I have seen of Robert Greens work, this would appear, at least from the very few, unconvincing pics, that this would be either in incorrect attribution, or not one of his better projects. Again, this is from just seeing these pics, which is not much to go by. Robt. Green was, in my opinion, one of the more gifted apprentices, and would like to see more pics if possible to gain better perspective.
KevinW

JimM

Post by JimM »

That house may have been designed by Robert Green, but not the one discussed here. Unless he did it over a weekend for fast cash!

synthetic space

Post by synthetic space »

There was previous discussion about that Atlanta house on another message board, with the same skepticism toward it being a Robert Green design. Obviously his usual organic stamp is missing.

However, one person who had talked with Green's son in the past and who seemed rather knowledgeable about Green's work felt that this house was from a group that Green did in the '50s that were more contemporary and less organic -- and obviously on a much tighter budget.

We did tour the house, and the woman who had renovated it said that the prior owners (from the same family as the original owners) had some paperwork from the '50s showing Green as the architect.

Who knows for sure....