eBay / Original Frank Lloyd Wright 1951 Wall Heater

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
RJH

eBay / Original Frank Lloyd Wright 1951 Wall Heater

Post by RJH »

JimM

Post by JimM »

That's some pretty nice looking brick; how did they find brick specified by Frank to look like cypress? ;)

dtc

fllw heater

Post by dtc »

This is not a heater designed by F.LL.W. It is a heater that was installed and used for years in the Haynes house, so I would like to know why it is being offered for sale on e-bay? This is part of the original fabric of the house and as such should remain with the house if you choose to use it or not.

dtc

pharding

Post by pharding »

It is wrong to sell that original component of an historic Frank Lloyd Wright house. It is outrageous to post it here.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

I agree it is wrong to sell them. Why not reinstall both heaters ?

outside in

Post by outside in »

Although I agree that removing the original parts of the home should be avoided, it should be pointed out that these electrical heaters are INCREDIBLY dangerous, and have caused numerous fires in homes throughout the country. Furthermore, they use a great deal of energy. In my opinion, its probably going to be safer without them. I'm curious to see if anyone really thinks they have value!

pharding

Post by pharding »

Patching openings in interior brick walls is extremely difficult if not impossible. The brick never matches. The mortar never matches unless you tuckpoint the whole wall which is too invasive. It is probably best just to disconnect them and put them back in the wall. This is also the most cost effective solution.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

DRN

Post by DRN »

This thread raises an important issue: the issue of fire safety in a historic building. Maintaining the historic integrity and fabric is important, but isn't recognizing potentially dangerous conditions and working to remedy them important as well?
At Sweeton, I know of a condition in the kitchen which will have to be addressed sooner rather than later. The bottoms of the redwood veneer plywood wall cabinets run at a height of 15" continuously above the base countertop AND the range. The cabinet bottoms do not rise at range, nor are they interupted or shielded with noncombustible material or firesafing insulation. There is no grease hood, just a small exhaust fan near the 12' ceiling which is shared with the bathroom on the other side of the masonry wall. I don't know about the previous owners, but my wife loves to cook, and the thought of a hot wok or a hot anything inches away from 57 year old dried plywood is of concern to me. Hot greasy air must be removed; it has done damage to the cabinets and other finishes over the last 57 years. As an architect and a future steward of the house, I see this as a fire hazard that must be addressed, albeit sensitively.

Mr. Harding, RJH, or any other Wright homeowners, how have you addressed similar issues in your homes?

RJH

Post by RJH »

Last edited by RJH on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pharding

Post by pharding »

DRN wrote:This thread raises an important issue: the issue of fire safety in a historic building. Maintaining the historic integrity and fabric is important, but isn't recognizing potentially dangerous conditions and working to remedy them important as well?
At Sweeton, I know of a condition in the kitchen which will have to be addressed sooner rather than later. The bottoms of the redwood veneer plywood wall cabinets run at a height of 15" continuously above the base counter top AND the range. The cabinet bottoms do not rise at range, nor are they interrupted or shielded with noncombustible material or firesafing insulation. There is no grease hood, just a small exhaust fan near the 12' ceiling which is shared with the bathroom on the other side of the masonry wall. I don't know about the previous owners, but my wife loves to cook, and the thought of a hot wok or a hot anything inches away from 57 year old dried plywood is of concern to me. Hot greasy air must be removed; it has done damage to the cabinets and other finishes over the last 57 years. As an architect and a future steward of the house, I see this as a fire hazard that must be addressed, albeit sensitively.

Mr. Harding, RJH, or any other Wright homeowners, how have you addressed similar issues in your homes?
It depends on the range. A Viking Range burns much hotter than the typical residential range. It is best to review what the manufacturer recommends. However it is a judgment call if the cook top has been in place for 40 or 50 years. It is extremely difficult to alter cabinetry and millwork and have it look appropriate without refinishing the cabinets. In general we follow manufacturers recommendations. In a tight spot we will work with a manufacturer's technical staff and make modest compromises with their input. Nothing is black or white, just shades of grey typically.

RJH

Post by RJH »

Last edited by RJH on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dtc

Post by dtc »

If I'm not mistaken The owner of the Haynes house is presently building folding wood screens with continuous hinges, because the original ones to the house were either tossed or sold, by a previous owner. (how great it would be if the original screens were in storage)

These heaters should be stored.
If the present owner chooses not to use them so be it, but the future owner of the Haynes house will be glad to know that the original heaters do still survive.

These houses designed by F.LL.W. are bigger and more important than any original client or subsequent owner.
We must not forget that we are only temporary stewards of these houses, with the additional bonus and pleasure of being able to live in them.

dtc

RJH

Post by RJH »

Last edited by RJH on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

Apparently everyone else strongly feels you are doing the WRONG thing. Maybe you should reconsider....

Of course, I seriously doubt if they are going to sell anyway.