Buffalo Boathouse/new construction methods old design???

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
pharding

Post by pharding »

Deke wrote: They had to retrofit Fallingwater using new methods...does that make it less of a Wright building now?
Just about every FLW building gets a structural retrofit as part of a restoration.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. Wright's buildings often benefit from improvements in structure and/or building technique. The poet-architect must be forgiven his economies and oversights. Not for him were the "usual and standard". . .!

SDR

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

I was by the boathouse today. It looks very nice, and fits in very well along the river.

Overall a very nice looking building at a good site.

If anyone wants photos, drop me a message.

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

My only hope is that when I start building "NZONIA" in October, and start posting pictures of the Stack-bond concrete construction, and mostly-steel engineering that members of the board won't pour scorn on **my** efforts.

The plans are now final, and have been submitted for building consent. The engineering has been certified, the materials have been chosen, the Matisse kitchen (80K+!) is specified, the landscaping progresses apace...

I hope to post some more construction detail drawings shortly, after getting permission from our builder.
How many escape pods are there? "NONE, SIR!" You counted them? "TWICE, SIR!"

*Plotting to take over the world since 1965

SDR

Post by SDR »

* I * won't, I promise. . . !

SDR

JimM

Post by JimM »

Many here are very interested in your project; you have put a lot of work into it so things will work out... above all, if it's your first house, have fun!

I look forward to seeing the progress.

therman7g

Boathouse progress report - WGRZ-TV - Buffalo, NY

Post by therman7g »

Some video of the boathouse after the commercial:

http://www.wgrz.com/includes/buildasx_o ... mprana.wmv

usonian1

Wright in Buffalo

Post by usonian1 »

All those out there who are criticizing this and other Buffalo projects should get off their high horse(s) and come to Buffalo to see them. Perhaps it would be better if these unbuilt designs would just sit there and rot? I think otherwise. While you're at it, come and see the Darwin Martin Complex, which when completed will be the best and most extensive restoration of Wright ever (www.darwinmartincomplex.org).

JimM

Re: Wright in Buffalo

Post by JimM »

usonian1 wrote:All those out there who are criticizing this and other Buffalo projects should get off their high horse(s) and come to Buffalo to see them. Perhaps it would be better if these unbuilt designs would just sit there and rot?
I have been to Buffalo recently (and was born there), but other than the wonderful work at Martin (which will indeed be stunning when completed), will never change my opinion regarding the commercial driven construction of inauthentic Wright buildings. Ideas never rot, just ill conceived ventures that confuse and trivialize the legacy of a great architect.

This quenching of a Wright "thirst" just seems silly to me. With no association with Wright's practice, these buildings are in architectural limbo-driven by similar attitudes that legitimized all those abominations the tourists flock to in Vegas. Why bother going to Paris, New York, or Italy when we can bring it to you in one place? Ergo, why not have a Wright building even though he's dead and had nothing to do with it's construction? Viva Las Buffalo! Go for it, but silly nonetheless.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Speaking of Martin, just when will it be done? I would travel back to Buffalo to see that, but would not make a special trip to see Yahara ... or whatever they're calling it.

pharding

Post by pharding »

My wife and I will make a special trip to see the Martin House; the Toshiko Mori Visitor Center; Graycliff; and Adler and Sullivan's Guaranty Building. I have absolutely no desire on the same trip to see the fake Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. The restoration of the Martin House and Greycliff both appear to be wonderful and I have the highest respect for what was accomplished. Toshiko Mori was a great choice for the Martin House Visitor Center and her building is quite fitting and appropriate.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

The visitor's center is still a building on paper.

You might be disappointed in the Martin house restoration. The "authentic" paint they have recreated on some of the walls is the most hideous thing I've seen. It's paint, not a stain. It looks like a badly done sponge painting job.

They do have plans to open up the gardeners cottage which was recently purchased and donated to the Martin Conservancy.

I can understand your not wanting to see the boathouse, but the mausoleum is worth a visit...it is very well done.

I was disappointed in Graycliff. It just doesn't have the FLW magic. Maybe it's a case of too much client involvement.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, after touring the Guaranty Building, be sure to cross the street to check out the Renwick church, Episcopalian, I believe. It's wonderful.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Roderick Grant wrote:Speaking of Martin, just when will it be done? I would travel back to Buffalo to see that, but would not make a special trip to see Yahara ... or whatever they're calling it.
I believe Martin, as is, to be well worth a visit. They have pretty much rid the place of most non historic accoutrement's. Surely, seeing the pergola with the newly installed V of T statue, garage, etc. along with experiencing the entire complex (incl. the Barton House)as Wright designed it would be a thrill for any Wright fan. The interior has never looked better since the Martin's abandoned the property over 60 years ago. They have mocked up the wisteria fireplace, and have tried to make the interior as informative as possible. "Hideous" (?) stain aside, it must be remembered that the interior restoration has not really begun yet, so I would hold off on judging any painting that has been implied. One docent told me they did not expect the full restoration to be completed for 8-10 years!

The millions raised so far went into stabilization, massive foundation/drainage work, geothermal system, the reconstruction of the lost buildings and the incredibly beautiful and costly tile roofing. Currently, the front facade is under plastic, as they are moving back the second floor window wall 3' into its original location! The Martins had it moved after construction, but this is the sort of costly restoration which will should eventually be a shocker when Wrights original intent and proportions are appreciated for the first time in years.

JimM

Post by JimM »

pharding wrote:My wife and I will make a special trip to see the Martin House; the Toshiko Mori Visitor Center; Graycliff; and Adler and Sullivan's Guaranty Building. I have absolutely no desire on the same trip to see the fake Frank Lloyd Wright buildings. The restoration of the Martin House and Greycliff both appear to be wonderful and I have the highest respect for what was accomplished. Toshiko Mori was a great choice for the Martin House Visitor Center and her building is quite fitting and appropriate.
The concept of the visitors center was an architectural master stroke of appropriateness (inverted Prairie roof!). Sadly, true it is taking second place for funding until the major interior restoration begins.

Graycliff is wonderful. It's importance had been obliterated. The transparent, floating effect of the main floor and parapets, windows, etc, IMO, foreshadow Fallingwater more than the Gale House. It is difficult to really tell to what degree Wright's "heart" was in it, but it is without a doubt a significant work brought back from the precipice of destruction. You will love it if you have time, Paul.

Buffalo has a wealth of architectural significance-as long as your passing on the "other stuff", a few more suggestions:

Richardson's State Hospital is typically magnificent, but unfortunately its use as an insane asylum has hurt it-no fault of the occupants, of course!

The Ellicott Square Building downtown (not far from Guaranty) by DH Burnham, is reminiscent of The Rookery with its interior spaces.

Delaware Park was laid out by Olmstead, and a drive from downtown along Delaware Blvd. offers a great number of period mansions indicating the fantastic wealth of Buffalo at the time. Did anyone say Darwin Martin?!

Saarinens Kleinhans Music Hall, Gordon Bunshaft's addition to the 1905 Albright-Nnox Art Gallery (designed but not finished in time for the huge Pan American Exposition of 1901/McKinley assassination!

Of course, Wright's Heath House & Davidson .....

There is much more if you have the time. The music and food of Buffalo are all top notch as well...but I'm biased. Have a good time.