2 Haynes Coffee Tables / Construction

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
outside in

Post by outside in »

whoa!

My understanding is that Algoma Plywood still exists under the name of Algoma HARDWOODS - and they will still supply custom plywood veneer, provided you order it through a millwork shop or lumber supply company (wholesale only) - their mainstay seems to be hollow and solid-core flat slab veneer doors, but they make a variety of other veneered goods as well.

Algoma, by the way, is on the lake - north of Two Rivers and Manitowoc, south of Kewaunee.

MHOLUBAR

Post by MHOLUBAR »

Good news, sorry I moved so far away!
mholubar

Deke

Post by Deke »

So I'm thinking of tackling a FLW furniture project just for fun...maybe a small coffee or end table. Any recommendations on a simple design to attempt?

deke

RJH

Post by RJH »

Started again on the 2 coffee tables. We had to actually make a trip and buy more Cypress solids for the mullions. So, we picked up a 1x10x6

RJH

Post by RJH »

We received the correct veneers and did more work today on the 2 coffee tables. More pics can be seen here http://flickr.com/photos/36675938@N00/? ... o474548326.

Today, we glued the mullions around the bottom of the table and also glued veneer to the bottoms as well. I would say we are about 40% finished. It was a lot of work. I can

RJH

Post by RJH »

Today

RJH

Post by RJH »

We spent the morning working on the 2 coffee tables. I would say we are about 75% completed now. Still need to take apart, glue and clamp. Before this, need to thoroughly sand. As you can see it is coming along.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36675938@N00/?saved=1

Previous total: $989

Today

RJH

Post by RJH »

Starting to look like a coffee table now. We are about 90% completed.

Today's Labor (8am-12pm 4 hours) $160

Running Total so far: $1,329

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Of all FLW's late furniture, that table is by far my favorite. Instead of all the antique pieces he does on his show, Norm Abrams should do one of those tables on The New Yankee Workshop.

RJH

Post by RJH »

We are now applying the finish. We are 95% complete.

3 hours labor today $120
Finish $18
Brush $8
Sand Paper $9
Paint Thinner $5

Running total so far: $1,486

RJH

Post by RJH »

Both of the Haynes Coffee Tables are now finished.

Once we applied the second coat of finish the Cypress really popped. Tons of beautiful red streaks in the Cypress grain. Building these were a ton of work. They look simple but the pieces are 100% hand made and not massed produced as in a furniture factory. Many of the vertical legs had to be fitted and then recut and then refit to order to get the perfect tight fit with no gaps.

I find pics are best viewed in "Slideshow" mode.

Here are the final numbers:

3 hours of labor $120
Cleats for bottom of tables $8.55

FINAL TOTAL: $1,615 or $808 per Haynes Coffee Table (rounded)

These numbers are simply “cost.� Fallingwater sells their coffee tables for $1,790 each https://www.wpcshop.com/Shopping/shopdi ... =Furniture. The Haynes Coffee Table is much more complex and harder to build.

I would enjoy hearing comments? I didn’t total up labor vs. materials but I think you will find the labor component is key in any Wright house or piece of furniture. Labor was cheap back in the 1930s and now things have reversed. Please let me know if you like seeing pics and hearing about the continuing restoration of Haynes? It is difficult for me to tell if people enjoy this or not. I know other particular Wright owners fail to share information such as photos.

Finally, I hope more have a chance to stay at Mr. Wright’s Haynes house. The only reason why we can build these tables and further restore the house is because guests have reserved the house. My goal is to make it the best Wright rental and it is quickly building a very solid reputation as the finest.

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

Very nice! The craftsmanship does justice to the wonderful design. I especially liked the photo showing the roof cantilever and table cantilever in the same shot.

Hope to make it back East next year. Be assured that if I do I'll be renting a stay at Haynes.

jlesshafft

Post by jlesshafft »

however, with modern cad/cam technology and computer controlled machinery, it would be fairly easy to turn these out in mass production at a very cheap price, and the fitting would be perfect; far better than you could do by hand.

you also figured labor at $40/hour. I'm not aware of too many carpenters that make $80k per year

RJH

Post by RJH »

I'm not so sure. We discussed this along the way.

I have seen Cassina Lewis Tables. Cassina was massed produced and always had top craftmanship. But, they had to omitt the bottom mullion becuase, I assume, it was too complicated. Furthermore, their table "screwed" together by the buyer and was not very sturdy. I forgot if it was the large or small Lewis Coffee Table, but it was priced in the $2k range. It was also made out of the wrong wood (Cherry).

Sorry, but $40/hour is the going rate here and is actually on the low end.

sjnorris

Post by sjnorris »

I would have to agree with RJH $40/hour is on the low end for any furniture maker. I also think $808 per table is a bargain.

As a craftsman that has built some reproduction furniture for the Willey House (www.thewilleyhouse.com). I know first hand how the cost can add up. We used all old growth tide water Cypress @ $10.90 bf. Old growth tide water Cypress veneer that we had cut @ cost of wood plus cost of cutting veneer. Then the cost of building the table, just veneering a 4x8 sheet of plywood takes at least 10 sheets of veneer (5 each side ) that are 10" wide by 100" long. All need a straight edge then need to be veneer tape together to make 2 4x8 sheets that can be pressed to the veneer core plywood. That is just for the plywood needed to make one table top.

Not everything is as simple as it looks.

Please visit www.thewilleyhouse.com to view the Restoration Journal that shows most of the furniture built .