Cherokee Red paint color

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
gdf

Cherokee Red paint color

Post by gdf »

I know this has been addressed before but I can't find my notes. We need to paint our outside entrance cement step and would like to use the type and color that will be closest to Cherokee Red. Appreciate any feedback you can give us. Thanks...

Richard

Post by Richard »

Coronado Paints. Terra Cotta is a close match. They have more than one concrete product; the web site deliniates which is best for a specific application. Their Tough Sheild 100% acrylic appears to perform well. The solvent type products don't seem to be long for this world with respect to the EPA... They also perform very well.
Homeowner

tonydeardorff

Post by tonydeardorff »

Pittsburg paints (PPG) has a line of colors that they created for Fallingwater. There are about 10-12 colors in the line and one of them is Cherokee Red. I painted my living room with it and it looks great. When you go to a PPG dealer you will need to ask for each color by the number not the name because the Fallingwater line is old and they have no idea what it is but the colors still exist with different names. In fact I think Cherokee Red is now New England Red. I also called Pittsburg paints directly and spoke the a woman about the color and she sent me color sample for the Fallingwater line and an actual sample of the paint I was looking for. Ask for the Fallingwater colors in the "Voice of Color" line on paints. Anyway, the link to the PDF page is below. Enjoy...I have.

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/pittsburgh/PDF ... Colors.pdf
Tony Deardorff

Richard

Post by Richard »

Coronado specializes in paint for concrete.
Homeowner

gdf

Post by gdf »

Thank you for all the info on Cherokee Red Paint. That's why I love this board - people are so willing to share their knowledge and help when asked. Thanks again...

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

To add to Tony's comments:

The Cherokee Red color offered by Pittsburgh Paints is indeed called New England Red now. The New England Red color is from an older paint line, and the color number is 78-802. My wife used this color on our front door, and it is quite beautiful.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

tonydeardorff wrote:Pittsburg paints (PPG) has a line of colors that they created for Fallingwater. There are about 10-12 colors in the line and one of them is Cherokee Red. I painted my living room with it and it looks great. When you go to a PPG dealer you will need to ask for each color by the number not the name because the Fallingwater line is old and they have no idea what it is but the colors still exist with different names. In fact I think Cherokee Red is now New England Red. I also called Pittsburg paints directly and spoke the a woman about the color and she sent me color sample for the Fallingwater line and an actual sample of the paint I was looking for. Ask for the Fallingwater colors in the "Voice of Color" line on paints. Anyway, the link to the PDF page is below. Enjoy...I have.

http://www.ppg.com/ppgaf/pittsburgh/PDF ... Colors.pdf

Thanks for posting that info, Tony. I called Pittsburgh Paints yesterday and they are mailing me the current equivalent paint numbers, which I can then take to my local PP store and get the sample color chips for.

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

In zooming around the net, I ran into this:

It's the "Taliesin Palette" of colors that Wright designed in collaboration with Martin-Senour Paints, with production beginning in 1955. In searching the net further I discovered a reference to Martin-Senour producing the same palette as recently as 1997. I placed a call to Martin-Senour and found out that their agreement with the Foundation ended around 10 years ago - so it's no longer in production. I asked if they would/could do something similar to what Pittsburgh Paints had done (i.e. - tell me how to get equivalent paint chips to their FLW palette, even though they were no longer licenced to produce it). The woman at Martin-Senour was very helpful and eventually faxed me a list that showed the comparable colors from the Taliesin Palette to those in Martin-Senour paints. There were 36 colors in the 1955 palette that somehow had morphed into 40 by 1997. She said there was one possible problem, though, in trying to match the FLW palette to Martin-Senour colors: beginning in 2007, the company had begun a change-over of their entire color palette and no longer would be producing paint chip-equivalents of the the Taliesin Line. Her suggestion to me was to call my local Martin-Senour paint store rep and ask if they had any fan-chips (multiple chips in one strip) left over from their previous palette - the Designer's Palette. I called - and they did. I drove over and with the help of the store rep was successful in matching up about 85- 90% of the entire palette with what was still available from the Designer's Palette chips.

So, my suggestion to anyone who has any interest in this would be to call Martin-Senour (1-800-677-5270), ask to be transferred to 'Color Support' (the woman who helped me was named 'Cynthia') and ask to have the sheet faxed to you that has the FLW Taliesin Palette colors with their equivalents in the Martin-Senour Designer's Palette. Then, take it over to your local store and match things up as best you can.

David

drdanbern

Post by drdanbern »

This is an old chat, but I came to it in search of Cherokee Red so others may also. After lots of phone calls and visits to a local paint store, I have finally tracked it down. Pittsburgh Paint makes it. For awhile it was called New England Red (Design-a-color Collection) No. 7195. Now they have reintroduced it by the name of Cherokee Red in their new Atmospheric Collection No. ATC-5.

WiscoUsonIan

Post by WiscoUsonIan »

interesting old thread... when purchasing my house I found a can of paint with the color mix on the lid.

Has anyone ever used the concrete paint by Coronado? I've got some outdoor areas with stained concrete that is starting to fade, most likely due to wear and traffic. Wonder if anyone has used this product and their thoughts on the end result.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Ian,
I recently ran across this new product. It may solve your problem IF you exterior concrete has not been painted.

http://www.scofield.com/concrete-color-restoration.html

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks, Paul!

I'm bookmarking that site for future reference...

DRN

Post by DRN »

A recently published book by Richie Herink "The Car is Architecture" about FLLW's cars, seems to document through correspondence in the FLLW Foundation Archives the origin of the Cherokee Red paint that Wright liked so much.

According to Mr. Herink's book, a letter written by Eugene Masselink in 1935 document's Wright's request to an auto dealer for a car to be painted to match the color of a 1935 Oldsmobile Wright had seen while driving past an Oldsmobile dealership.

The following is a link to a website that lists historic car color names and codes that provides the relevant information:

http://www.paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintde ... okee%20Red

...apparently Oldsmobile was the first, but not the last, car company to offer a color named Cherokee Red. It would appear from further searching on the paintref site that they are all different colors, but based on the citation in Herink's book, the 1935 Oldsmobile color #108 Cherokee Red manufactured by DuPont, #246-30986 is what Wright originally saw, liked, and requested.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks, Dan. Very interesting.

So, there's nowhere on record of Wright using the name "Cherokee Red" prior to 1935, then?

Do we know if he had used that particular color elsewhere on any previous structures - just without having the 'Cherokee Red' attribution?

David

Unbrook

Red

Post by Unbrook »

I wonder if the Cherokee Red on the 1955 Buick had any relation to the Taliesin Line of fabrics and wall coverings at the F. Schumacher Company