150 Great Places in Illinois

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
pharding

150 Great Places in Illinois

Post by pharding »

On Wednesday AIA Illinois will release its list of 150 Great Places in Illinois. This is a list of the 150 Greatest Architectural Works in the history of Illinois. Given the exceptionally high quality of architectural works in Illinois over the last, approximately, 150 years. This should be quite interesting. I have been told that approximately half fall into the historic range and approximately half fall into the recent historic range. This list will be unveiled at Prairie Grass Roots by AIA Illinois. I will be in attendance so I will post some comments relevant to the interest of this message board on Wednesday.

Undoubtedly FLW will be well represented. Hopefully Louis Sullivan will be well represented with his great works. Unfortunately a string of truly horrific events has recently reduced their number. And then you have Frank Lloyd Wright who did not hesitate to steal credit for their work. I would think that the list would have to include the following FLW projects, FLW Home and Studio, Winslow, Heurtley, Robie, Unity Temple, Coonley, Ward Willetts, and the Rookery. Maybe Bradley, Lloyd Lewis, and Isabel Roberts. Undoubtedly Sullivan projects will include the Auditorium Theater; Carson, Pirrie, Scott; Charnley; and Pilgrim Baptist Church. Hopefully they will include Burnham and Root's Santa Fe Building, home to Harding Partners. It will be interesting.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn