Bernard Schwartz House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Re: Bernard Schwartz House

Post by Tom »

That blue plan - looks like they used it for constructing a perspective.
That diagoanl line iwth tick marks is a picture plane right?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Exactly right, Tom; those tics along a line are part of a classic perspective method used regularly at Taliesin, I believe.

I'm not sure Matt's question is so easily answered. I've been looking for evidence of Wright's structural thinking for years, and I can say that it's very unusual to get a clear picture, either way, most of the time. I could believe that in some cases he knew just how the structure would be configured, and in other instances had confidence that a solution would be found. For what it's worth, he very seldom addressed the matter in writing, except in the most general and poetic terms . . .

S

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

further to what SDR said the blue plan was just my screenshot of the drawing which was still highlighted -
Here it is reposted as normal ( black on grey)

and can understand now, why the dining room roof joists are only 2- 2x4- as the section shows the allowance for stepped ceiling boards.

© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

These 4 plans - 2 dated 1940 look to me to be the culminating plans - possibly for publication purposes? or final signoff with Mr Schwartz

GF plan
note lily pond at end of terrace, and sunken garden off terrace
also the central axial line and the curved drive way intersection point is at front door jamb, almost suggesting there is some symmetry going on.

UF Plan
now has stepped mezzanine balustrade and updated maid room, kitchen has a deck!

Planting Diagram 1940
I wonder if this is the plan the current owners are going to follow?

Furniture Diagram sketch - I wonder who did the sketching over the plan - Mr Howe or Mr Wright -
note ; how in the Master bedroom the wardrobe cabinet ( not built) orientates the beds ;
a large lounge is set next to the fire place framing the sitting position;
bifold door off the dining room to terrace
extended table /shelf in lounge area

© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

and the typical published plan

note - lilly pond is now scrubbed out
unit lines scribed in
and in top left corner, feint lines of pergola and some trellis/garden at the end - the farm unit maybe?
master bedroom- bed shown in final position
folding screen to grand piano -to keep sunlight off it?
tool house and workshed at end of utility room - appears to have a roof over - not built though :cry:

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

Gary: Of the plans shown above, only the darkest one (on the L-shaped sheet of paper) shows (as a dashed line) the mezzanine parapet plan in its final shape---where the steps in the railing are of equal length and width ? I have always assumed this is the only form that that parapet ever took; I have been most surprised to see here, for the first time, the more irregular varieties of that element . . .

S

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

well spotted
I wonder if the variation depends on who drew it?
Further to that, I wonder what they were thinking - it certainly adds to the complexity of the construction - therefore additional cost.

Could you image it as a straight balustrade though! - Na this is so much more interesting!

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Rug diagram july 1940

seems to show a fairly up to date arrangement

ie no entry cloak cupboard, no bedroom Robe, no lilly pond, wide pier to steps base

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

The carpet layout is unusual; I can't recall another like it: eight rectangular rugs laid contiguously to make a continuous lake of wool (or whatever).

Parapet: To be straight (without steps) it would have to be laid at an angle to the grid ? I somehow think that everyone in the Taliesin drafting room would instinctively know that this wouldn't please Mr Wright. (And everyone would instinctively know that displeasing Mr Wright just wasn't done---if only because doing so might bring on the wrath of Mrs Wright !)

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Large rug notched at brick pier for stairs.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, and around chimney mass. I wonder if that plan was carried out ?

S

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

I wonder if anyone knows what the word : "superimposed" means on the Taliesin drawings - particularly in the framing plans, usually associated with a description of the joists ie joists 3 - 2 x 4" superimposed 1'9" o.c.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

I think it means the unusual assembly of three 2 x 4s stacked on edge, to make (in effect) a single deep, shaped joist.

If I were to build one of these roofs today, to replicate the Wright design, I would consider gluing pieces of 3/8" OSB to the faces of these composite joists, to truly weld each one into a single beam. I haven't learned how Wright intended the 2 x 4s to be fastened together; toe-nailed from the sides ? Ugh . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

I thought they were glued, "laminated"

SDR

Post by SDR »

In my limited experience, materials were not glued to each other in traditional building framing.

Have you seen a note about lamination on a Usonian CD ? I do not find a definition for "laminate" which doesn't refer to "thin layers."

S