Bernard Schwartz House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Re: Bernard Schwartz House

Post by Roderick Grant »

Keep in mind that Schwartz is the construction that got Tafel fired for adding steel. Apparently, no matter how necessary the steel is, it was not part of FLW's design.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I was wrong about the steel over the columns - wasn't paying any attention to the last trellis beam that would be unsupported in that case.
GDorn - I'm intriguued with what you've laid out here. Very helpful.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Just sent an email via the contact sheet at the Schwartz House website to see if they have drawings.

Had to take down my Monograph for this.
Don't know if this has been mentioned before but these elevations and sections have glass tubing under the lower eaves.
Also skylights in the upper living room roof.

GDorn - considering the sag in the carport that you point out it would seem that the carport steel would not align with the kitchen entry wall.
Yet if what we see in the photograph with the guy cooking in the kitchen is actually the bottom flange of a steel beam then it seems it would not be merely a lintel spanning the kitchen entry. A mere lintel would only need to extend into the brick 4"-6".
If it is one of the cantilevered carport beams it makes sense in this location because it not only supports the carport
- it also spans the kitchen entry.
But - if the carport cantilever steel is actually in this position it would seem that one would not see the sag that you point out in that photograph.
What is visible on top of the brick in the photograph may not be steel at all.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Another mystery to me is the floor framing to the Upper floor guest area and dining room area roof framing - they are at the same plane - so I m wondering if the framing in that area is all the same.
If it is then does this mean that the roof framing generally is 12x 2 @ 18" centres?

Imageschwartz dining Section 3D by g dorn, on Flickr
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

The interior photos of the recreation room show that ceiling lining boards to the lower deck are parallel to the main structural beams ( trellis).
So would there be battens or the like @ 2 ft (600) c's perpendicular to these main beams for fixing the ceiling lining to.

The trellis detail drawing is rather fuzzy to read any notes for this area.

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

The dining room ceiling appears to have boarded overlapping pattern , around 2 over head strips of indirect light. - quite different to allthe other areas which seem to only have flat boards.

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

Helpful photographs you found there.
Did you catch the miniature 'winged victory' in the sitting room?

Im kinda surprised that the color of the floor was not extended to the exterior surfaces.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Does anyone know when, why and by whom the 4 French doors to the terrace were replaced with solid glass?

SDR

Post by SDR »

The "why" shouldn't be hard to deduce---though this radical remedy is fortunately unique (as far as I know) and completely changes the relationship of the formerly connected spaces. Haven't Usonian owners suffered from early days as a result of the fully planar slab, without drain, beneath and outside of the french doors ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Just asking about the history of the thing, not taking sides on yea or nay.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Did they add insulated glass between the piers? Would be considerably more of a project with doors...

SDR

Post by SDR »

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

I just picked up a deviation from the design drawing

kitchen/entry interior brick wall

design drawing shows this wall is is same plane with the pier

whereas construction shows this wall inset 1 brick - 230mm or so -

does this mean this kitchen wall is only 1 skin -not double?

I also notice that the scribed unit line in the floor slab also appears in a different position
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

hmm maybe the piers was made wider- its 4 bricks 470mm wide and looks like its centered on the scribed unit line- which I noticed matches the section.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

JimM

Post by JimM »

Just wondering, but new French doors to accommodate insulated glazing would be $$...