Bernard Schwartz House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
ekistic

Bernard Schwartz House

Post by ekistic »

Greetings,

Anyone have any specific information about this house. It seems that the owners rent it out and a "Google" search has come up with the typical paragraph of history and the connection with the "life" magazine prototype. Thanks for any useful links.
________
DC MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by ekistic on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

michaeldit

Schwartz House info

Post by michaeldit »

What information would you like? We have been restoring the house and is now in very good condition. e-mail me if you woud like more information.

michael@theschwartzhouse.com

Anna Love

Post by Anna Love »

I have stayed at the Schwartz House and would highly recommend it to anyone interested. There are four bedrooms in this spacious Wright-designed house. What a wonderful time we had preparing dinner, sitting around the fireplace sipping wine and talking, etc. The owners were kind enough to arrange a tour of the house upon our arrival...It was well worth it! If you are interested in having a wonderful time in a Wright house, this is a great one in which you can do that!

Pat Mahoney

Post by Pat Mahoney »

Borrowing the discussion from another topic as to which is the finest Usonian house, This house would be very high on my list. The complexity of the space makes it a real joy to experience first hand.

g.dorn

Re: Bernard Schwartz House

Post by g.dorn »

Ive been studying this house and trying to gather information so I can make a construction 3D model.

Ive started by scanning the Storrer floor plans as PDF's and then importing them into BoA Layout sheet and then adding the missing grid lines.

Because my scan is not perfectly flat - the grids lines are a little out. I created a set out point which is the intersection of 2 grid lines - which I nominated as the pier next to the internal stairs ( thick grey lines)

UF plan with reference Grid
Imageschwartz UF plan by g dorn, on Flickr
GF plan with reference Grid
Imageschwartz GF plan by g dorn, on Flickr

This all provided me witha visual reference in which to build the construction model.

Then in new Boa Project File - I setup the model - I began with creating the 7.0' grid, and added the vertical 13" grid for reference on the nominated setout grid line.

The I began to add the brickwork.

Imageschwartz grids and brickwork by g dorn, on Flickr
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

now some questions which others might have the answers to

On the storer floor plans,

In the kitchen/ workspace;

-this a square drawn on the Upper floor plan - what is that? - was it built that way?
a photo of the UF mezzanine hallway seems to indicate there is no opening to the kitchen void, so I am really curious about the meaning of these lines

- near the entry to it, is a brick pier of some sort - is that for a fire place/wood stove /heater sort of thing- does this brickwork go to the roof and have a chimney stack outlet?

-the UF plan show brickwork that spans partially over the GF opening I gather there must be a steel lintel supporting the upper part of this brickwork -

kitchen drawings
Imageschwartz UF ktichen void by g dorn, on Flickr

Imageschwartz kitchen GF by g dorn, on Flickr

photos of hall way and kitchen

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

G Dorn

While William Allin Storrer did the Wrightian world an inestimable service by cataloging, illustrating, and commenting on the entire built Wright oeuvre, his plan drawings would not be the place to start for a measured model when Taliesin originals, from which in many cases they are copied, are available---I'm sure you would agree ?

I invite you to consult me before starting new work, in case I am able to supply you with scans of original drawings as found in the Monographs (and, in rare cases, from other sources). I will be very happy to oblige.

In the case of the Schwartz house the publication plan, not a construction document, is reproduced in Monograph 6, as well as an elevation sheet and two sections from a construction set. (The problem remains to determine where possible if these drawings agree with each other. Storrer's plans are meant to be as-built versions, which in most cases they no doubt are. If that version is your aim in every case, Storrer would be the guide, at least, to which of the reproduced originals, if any, represent the built structure.) A presentation plan would compare to what is found in Storrer, in the great majority of cases.

To try to answer your questions from what I have at hand, the mystery square appears on the Taliesin presentation plan; it is not labeled. Perhaps an aerial photo would reveal that to be a skylight that appears in one of your photos ?

The brick pier is shown solid on Storrer's first-floor kitchen plan; on the Taliesin sheet it is a hollow pier, as on the upper-level plan, suggesting that it is a chase or (more likely) a flue. Again an aerial view would show a flue opening if there is one, in the roof.

The address of the Schwartz residence is 3425 Adams, Two Rivers, WI.

S
Last edited by SDR on Tue May 19, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Never been in the house, but the "square" in the corner of the kitchen drawing might very well refer to the skylight, one corner of which is visible in one of the photos.

The brick "pier" in the kitchen is undoubtedly the chimney serving the ground floor utility room. The rectangle in the utility room marked "H" is probably a "heater".

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Entry carport steelwork

I gather there is some large steel beams cantilvering out to support the carport cantilever

This photo shows some eave sag onthe right side - suggesting the steel beams are inline with entry and probably one on the left side - unless this photo is just distorted

so here is my guess
2 main steel beams with a steel fascia beam to support any intermediate timber joists ( not shown yet)
my guess is that joists will be at 610 /2ft c's - but his does not fit into the 7ft grid - which might not matter.

carport with steel

Imageschwartz carport steel 2 by g dorn, on Flickr

carport without steel

Imageschwartz carport timber by g dorn, on Flickr
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

SDR wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:19 pm
G Dorn

<snip>
In the case of the Schwartz house <snip> in Monograph 6, as well as an elevation sheet and two sections from a construction set. <snip>
S
oh
yes please
please post the sections

I made a typing mistake, I scanned the plans from the very small ones in the ADA ADITA House No 6 = pg 116, which has elevations which I reckon don't correspond to the as built design.
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

I found this photo, which suggests that a long brick wall extending out from the master bedroom - toward the neighbour was built- then later removed.

was the property originally larger, then subdivided an parts sold off?

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Wisconsin History Archives have quite a few photos from 1939
credit to Wisconsin Historical Society
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Record ... l*&start=0

Image Image
Image ImageImageImageImageImage Image
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

Two comments about the structural hypotheses represented in your carport drawings:

1. All members shown, in order to do their work, must extend uninterrupted from end to end. How do you propose to make wood pass through wood, or steel, at the intersections ?

2. The stepped underside of the roof as built seems to call for much wider soffits than you show---at least as to the first (outermost) step. That is, the steps are further apart---aren't they ? If so, does that affect your layout ?

The roof fascia detail on the two sections sheets differs. The most interesting thing on the elevation sheet might be the notation "Glass Tubing" in two places . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

Another Schwartz thread in which the carport and terrace are discussed. Is it possible that the terrace parapet or floor contribute to the cantilever ?

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... =2&t=11498

S