Where's Our Generation's Frank Lloyd Wright?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Or. . .you could have had Clarence Mayhew. http://blog.sellingrenonv.com/?p=131 Check the virtual tour.

Frank Lloyd Wright ? Walter Gropius (!) ? Any other choices ? How about Victor Lundy meets Madame Woo ?

Fay Jones. Aaron Green. Robert Green. Cliff Hickman (somebody do a book report, please). B Goff and B Prince have seemed a little too far out for me -- but thank heaven there are "all flavors" ! And find the elusive Jack Hillmer -- it's worth the search, I promise.

SDR

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

This discussion is fantastic--just the sort of conversation that needs to happen in order to take Wright out of the dusty past and see where the ideas and principles he espoused are being utilized today. We're wildly interested in finding those individuals (or hopefully groups) of people out there who are picking up the torch of Organic Architecture and making it new, exciting and pertinent for the 21st century. That's what Wright did with Sullivan's ideas, that's what Sullivan did with Furness' ideas---who will now do that with Wright's? We think an interesting example was brought up with David Hovy--his firm's work is extraordinary. Yet, we see a need to develop an answer to lower cost, more accessible residential housing. What most people actually live in.

We wonder if the revived PreFab movement holds the key for the next Frank Lloyd Wright to shine. It's an interesting opportunity in that it holds the potential to keep costs down and allow for more customizable housing solutions. Yet, what the current PreFab designers are doing is basically keeping their ideas "in the box." Even the Marmol Radziner prefab is really just a glorified series of boxes placed on the earth--not of it. The Frank Lloyd Wright of today would seize the chance to lead this PreFab movement into the folds of Organic Architecture--instead of treating it as "machines for living--made on assembly lines like machines."

We would love to hear your thoughts on this in the further search for the next Frank Lloyd Wright.

pharding

Post by pharding »

I've been in the initial Marmol Radziner prefab, The Desert House Prototype in Desert Springs, California. Before that back in the 70's, I toured a prototype industrial premanufactured housing development with multiple prototypes/approaches by a number of manufacturers. This was a federal project in Indianapolis. By far the most successful moderate price solution that I seen to date is the Marmol Radziner approach. The Desert House was both well designed and well detailed. It is important to bear in mind that this house had to be transported to the site by truck which imposed size limitations and created challenges for the building in terms of flexing and vibrating. The quality of every building component, including windows, finishes, fixtures, accessories, appliances, etc. was architectural grade not the cheap junk common to today's premanufactured housing industry. I am very impressed by the prototype and other versions of it that I have seen on their website. For what they are charging, their prefab units the rare bargain in architectural grade housing. They are extremely well designed, detailed, and constructed.

I first became aware of the firm when the FLWBC had the Palm Springs Pre-LA Conference Tour in 05. They were the restoration architects and contractor for the restoration of Neutra's Kaufman House in Palm Springs. They were the inspiration for Harding Partners becoming the general contractor, in addition to Restoration Architect, on the Davenport House.

Will the next Frank Lloyd Wright have a background in Pre-Fab architecture? In my opinion, no. Frank Lloyd Wright created a sea change in architecture. I do not see that happening again in my lifetime. The measure of the next Frank Lloyd Wright isn't whether one uses FLW's ideas, but whether one has the lasting impact that he did. Lasting impact isn't always recognizable at the time an individual building is initially built. It is also about innovation, but not innovation for the sake of innovation and uniqueness.
Last edited by pharding on Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Ed Jarolin

Prefab's promise?

Post by Ed Jarolin »

Regarding the possibilities prefab holds for affordable, well designed housing let me throw out a few thoughts.

It seems to me that the boxiness mentioned in most, if not all, of the efforts out there right now may be just the nature of the beast. That is building the maximum volume the shipping envelope allows. However, in the right hands, this method might still be capable of giving us organic architecture. After all what is Jacobs I but a series of artfully composed, interlocking boxes? Some site work required. Well that's always going to be there.

Perhaps a panelized system holds more promise. Let's start out with a treated wood foundation to eliminate or minimize on site concrete work. Panelize the floor, wall and roof elements in similar fashion. Tailor the design for shipment of all components in the largest sizes possible. Build kitchen and bathroom in the factory and plug them into the structure at the site. I see no reason that this type of building need be boxy. Also, it would be more amenable to organic integration into a site that is more than just a flat lot. However, it is apparent that this method requires more on site labor. Because of this economy of scale can only be acheived through the erection of multiple buildings at the same time; an assembly line in the field as it were.

I don't think any of these ideas are really new. To my knowledge mass panelization goes back to at least World War II. Of course, Wright's original Usonian system was intended for factory fabrication, right?

As always scale of production is the key to true economy. Unfortunately, the mass builders will have no interest in good design as long as they can keep selling their current overblown inefficient product. Any big time investors out there who want to bankroll a test development of say 100 or 200 houses complete with a national ad campaign and media blitz? I think that's pretty much what it will take.

If you build it, will they come???

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

In response to PrairieMod's posting:

We're wildly interested in finding those individuals (or hopefully groups) of people out there who are picking up the torch of Organic Architecture and making it new, exciting and pertinent for the 21st century

I think Kelly Davis, a designer for SALA Architects in Minnesota, is a successful practitioner of Organic Architecture in the 21st century.

Some of his design work is featured on the SALA website:

http://www.salaarc.com/

karnut

bart prince

Post by karnut »

A few people here have said they think Bart Prince maybe to out there. They used to say the same about Mr. Wright. Every person here should check out the Joe&Etsuko Price home.Joe son of Harold, you know thePrice Tower!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Jarolin

Bart Prince

Post by Ed Jarolin »

Guess I'd have to say that Bart Prince, like Bruce Goff before him, is often more than a little too far out there for my taste. That's not to say the work is not inventive and preferable to the standard ho hum that too often passes for residential architecture. The biomorphic or zoomorphic style that he often employs just doesn't grab me at a gut level.

I find the modular system employed by Wright, the "warp & woof" that holds it all together more satisfying.

Wasn't the Joe Price house by Goff? Didn't it burn down?

karnut

price house

Post by karnut »

Ed, Goff did joe"s first house. Ed, If you live 50 more years Barts work will seem tame.Barts mind works like no other out there.Plus he is not only for the richIf you only have a150dollar per Sq.foot to spend he can pull it off. Check out Nakomis Multi-Family Housing in Albuqerque done for hud.The man can do spaceships and earthships Just like Mr. Wright. I think if people would look into instead of looking at Barts work it would turn the mind around.One more thing here, While Bart was in High School his home designs were built.in a full development in N. M. His age 17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one else comes close to any of this. M. Z.

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

M.Z.,

I'll try doing some more research and see if Bart can "blow my mind" as he has for you. If I live another 50 years look for me in the media giving longevity tips!

Ed

elizfa

He/She is coming

Post by elizfa »

check ebay for a FLW prep drawing for sale. Seller name: 123failla

elizfa

He/She is coming

Post by elizfa »

check ebay for a FLW prep drawing for sale. Seller name: 123failla[/url][/code]