FLW House?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
rosalyndoe

FLW House?

Post by rosalyndoe »

Watched a TV Movie - North & Northwest by Cary Grant & EVa St Marie..towards the end they were in a house & came Mount Rushmore at the end. The house looks like an FLW that they may have used. Can somebody confirm this? thanks

outside in

Post by outside in »

Somewhere I once heard that the house was a stage set designed by FLW's son Lloyd - but it may be an "urban legend"

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here's the very interesting answer to your question:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mid-centur ... 261231182/

Thanks for bringing this up ! (Readers will have to decide for themselves if this looks like a FLW design. . .)

SDR

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

For those interested in architecture in film, 'Film Architecture: from Metropolis to Bladerunner' is a book that's worth a look. No mention in it of the Wrightian house in 'North by Northwest', but SDR's post certainly debunks that old myth. Of interest to Wright fans is the information presented on 'The Fountainhead' and a mention of the Ennis House as used in 'Bladerunner'.

Though the book doesn't say, I seem to recall reading somewhere that Wright was asked to provide designs for 'The Fountainhead", but quoted such a high fee that the producers used one of their in house people instead.

SDR

Post by SDR »

By the way, the actress's name is Eva Marie Saint.

There was a big old discussion of this topic, a year or more ago, over at Lotta Living. I can't seem to find it -- someone posted interior shots and close-up exteriors. . .

I guess those big angled struts under the living room were tailor-made for Cary Grant to climb on; only a spider-man could scale the Sturges house (for instance) from below !

SDR

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Warners tried to hire Wright to design The Fountainhead, and Gerald Loeb and Rand herself urged him to take the job. Years later, when he was complaining about being broke, Loeb reminded him of the money he could have made on the job. The story about the high fee ($100K + 10% of the gross) is from George Nelson's article "Mr. Roark Goes to Hollywood" in Interiors in 1949.

There was also talk of Garbo coming back to play the part that eventually went to Patricia Neal, though this never got beyond a phone call or two.

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:Here's the very interesting answer to your question:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/mid-centur ... 261231182/

Thanks for bringing this up ! (Readers will have to decide for themselves if this looks like a FLW design. . .)

SDR

"Stewf's" post was interesting, and I cracked up at the part about a concern that audiences might be more interested in what was holding up the living room than the story, if the house was a real Wright! Only in the world of Frank....

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Concerning outside in's posting above: Lloyd did work in the movie industry for a time, but long before the period of NXNW. I understand he did the Fairbanks Robin Hood. He said it was a wonderful way to work because he could draw something one day and see it built the next.