Update on the Marden Home

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
EJ

Update on the Marden Home

Post by EJ »

Here's a link (Mark Hertzberg guilted me into it) to an interesting article about the Marden house in Virginia. It came into the hands of person who recoginized the genius and specialness (is that a word?) of the house and its architect.

Hat's off to him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00569.html
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

JimM

Post by JimM »

Another hero! Deep pockets and an open minded sense of responsibility-what a rare, and fortunate in this case, occurence.

Thank you Mr. Kimsey.
Last edited by JimM on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

Now if we could get some more pictures of the inside, or a video.. that would be cool! Don't we all wish we had this kind of money to restore everything?

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

While it is nice to see Mr. Kinsey finally got 'religion', it would have been

even nicer if his epiphany had occurred a little bit sooner. You can get a

look at the Ubermansion (McMansion just doesn't do it justice) which will

crowd Marden, from here to eternity, on Peter Beer's website.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Ed Jarolin wrote:While it is nice to see Mr. Kinsey finally got 'religion', it would have been

even nicer if his epiphany had occurred a little bit sooner. You can get a

look at the Ubermansion (McMansion just doesn't do it justice) which will

crowd Marden, from here to eternity, on Peter Beer's website.

Agreed, but better late than never to "Save Wright" is the bottom line. That an epiphany even occurred in this day and age is miraculous (not typical of wealthy architectural "thugs"). If I had such resources, a reverse trend would occur resulting in the demolition of the real offender on that property!

It happened at Martin, and look what sits there today; but I do have to assume Kimsey is not as crazy as I am.

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

JmM,

I totally agree with all your points, except the crazy part. I'd do the

same if I had the dough and I'm not crazy, right? Don't answer that!

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

For another take on Marden vs. the Ubermansion one can go to

Google maps and checkout 600 Chain Bridge Rd., McLean VA.

Even at full zoom (satellite view) Marden is virtually invisible.

Wish the same could be said for it's neighbor.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I believe a previous thread contained pictures of both houses ?

Note the use of Hans Wegner chairs. I should think this owner could afford -- for a great deal less than a million dollars (!) -- to measure and replicate the missing Wright furniture. Perhaps it is easy to forget that what makes significant furniture valuable is the DESIGN, not the material it is made from. Faithful replicas are as valuable a part of the whole as would be the original pieces -- in my view.

SDR

Craig

Post by Craig »

Mixed feelings on this one.

It's kind of a shame to see what was supposed to have been an affordable, liveable house for the average man become the "toy" of a rich man whose true sensibility tilts toward French Provincial. Seems like his interest developed when he sensed there might be some gained "status" involved.

I'm sure the dinner parties for celebrities are very swell - "Let's go to the little house, har, har." Nice place for cocktails but no way in hell would any of the swells ever really consider living in a house made of concrete block!
ch

JimM

Post by JimM »

Craig wrote:Mixed feelings on this one.

It's kind of a shame to see what was supposed to have been an affordable, liveable house for the average man become the "toy" of a rich man

I get your point, but he also did not tear it down and did sink renovation money into it, which is good any way you look at it. Even if they do laugh at the concrete block, the house is being used as Wright intended. You can't say that about house museums with monitored air, silk ribbons across chairs, uninformed guides, and the "footsteps of the previous tour" always getting in the way of enjoying most Wright spaces.

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

True enough. Kimsey didn't have it torn down, etc. However, unless he decides to "share the wealth" so to speak, we commoners will never get any closer to Marden than the view from the river below or the satellite view from above.

That's always the question. Do we want the houses "stuffed and mounted" as museums or in private hands fulfilling their original purpose. I suppose the b&b or rent for a couple of days idea is the best to be hoped for for those of us who can't afford to buy one outright.