Taliesin Red Concrete Floors

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Education Professor

Taliesin Red Concrete Floors

Post by Education Professor »

My wife and I plan to build a home in the Usonian style. We would like to have Taliesin or Cherokee Red concrete floors like those that were used in Mr. Wright's original Usonian homes. What should we do to achieve this color? Should we add some type of pigment to the concrete mixture? If so, what product should we use? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Professor,

There are bascially 3 options.

Dye the entire truck of concrete. The extra costs are the price of the dye and the cleaning of the truck after the load is delivered.

The second option is to trowel in an additive to the first 1/4 inch of the concrete before it hardens which leaves that top layer the color you want. Higher cost of labor and the installer has to have experience or it can come out poorly. You also pay for the additive.

Thirdly, you can use concrete paint or dye which is applied after the concrete cures for 30 days. If you take this route you must etch the concrete with muriatic acid before you paint.

Scofield.com is a company which sells products for the top coat which is troweled in. They are very good and have had good field reps in the past. They may also sell the dye for the trucks as well.

Coronado sells a dye which is painted on the surface with a roller, almost a stain and it works very well but is very caustic and word is it won't be around much longer due to EPA regs. They also sell an acrylic based concrete paint which also appears to hold up well which you can use indoors with no ill effects. The color by coronado is Terra Cotta Red.

Which is the best? I think that the dyed truck load is the best. No matter how much you damage the concrete, there is always more red stuff below. I have seen the troweled application have the top layer spall when it is an outside application. Interior applications of the trowel jobs seem fine.

Paint is good especially on the interior. The best look is probably the first two options as the concrete looks more rich and interesting when installed and takes on a great patina after a while.

Painting also requires touchups and you have to make sure the etching job is done correctly.

Good luck.
Homeowner

Richard

Post by Richard »

PS

There is also a staining process, not to be confused with the Coronado oil based paint which is akin to a stain. I am not that familiar with staining but It may give you the least similar look. I have heard good and bad about staining.
Homeowner

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

Richard,

Thank you very much for this useful information. Is there a particular brand or type of concrete dye that we could use to achieve the Taliesin or Cherokee Red color?