Glore House on market

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Richard

Glore House on market

Post by Richard »

Hello everyone,

The Charles Glore House was listed last week with Baird and Warner.

If you would like to see still photos and 360 degree photos go to: bairdandwarner.com and go to the "lookup box" and type in Mayflower.

It is the 170 Mayflower listing in Lake Forest, Illinois. Or go to agent and go to "Hellinga". Click on her properties.

The house has updated baths and kitchen after probably several go rounds. A hexogonal deck was replaced with a circular deck to represent the circular infinity pools which were never built due to cost and ravine preservation issues. The kitchen layout ws restored to the original plan and a 3 car garage with storage was added. Desks were added according to the original plans and materials more in line with the feel of the house replaced.

Harding Partners designed an addition which was within the footprint of the house. It is located under what was a 500 square foot overhang which was initially designed by Wright presumably as a response to the pools.

The result is spectacular. Paul did a fantastic job with extreme sensitivity to the original plan. All who know the house or who have seen it for the first time are very impressed with the addition. Paul was a pleasure to work with.

Take a look and enjoy the photos.

Richard
Homeowner

JimM

Post by JimM »

My word! Paul Harding is one fine architect (and apparently too classy to crow about such excellent work).

The addition is so refined, appropriate, and well done, that I almost can't believe it. What a thrill to see a major change to a Wright property done the "Wright" way; it is not always the case. John Howe would be proud, and I'm sure Frank would approve.

Kudo's, Paul. I'll stop gushing now over what must have been a challenging and exciting project.

I've never seen this house and few photos of it. What a beauty, and even more fascinating to see it with such a successful alteration.

I'll stop now, but this made my day.
Last edited by JimM on Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hypnoraygun

WOW

Post by hypnoraygun »

WOW Nice photos! When you click on them for a printable version they are HUGE! THANKS! I am tempted to schedule a viewing to see this house. But I won't waste your time, but man what a Great house!

I knew I should have bought a Lottery ticket.

Hey nothing says Wright like a Flat Panel TV! Awesome! Is that staying? ha..

Thanks for the pictures again, I would love to see this house in person.

Craig

JimM

Post by JimM »

....forgot to mention the understated triangular lights: perfect final touch.

....and don't the concrete window panels look identical/similar to Zimmerman?

Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks fellas for the positive comments. The line about the TV is perfect...

Some history: The people who sold me the house claimed that the triangular lights were originally an amber color before they replaced them with white. I have also seen during renovation that the ceiling color was originally a sand color and not white. The place probably looked incredible with those colors but the lighter colors do help lighten up the place in spots. Such changes are for the next steward.
Homeowner

RJH

Post by RJH »

Wow! The photos are amazing! So glad the realtor has used large photos instead of those tiny pictures.

No offense to Mr. Harding architectural skills, but doesn

Richard

Post by Richard »

RJH

For the record. Before we bought this house, there was a contract on the building by a developer to tear it down. Thankfully, it fell through. The viability of this house, in this neighborhood, with substandard amenities is very poor. The goal from the begining was to bring the house up to a certain standard to indefinately prolong its life. This has been accomplished with the utmost sensitivity to Wright's principles and by employing strict preservation standards.

RJH, did you take the time to look at a floor plan for this house before you passed judgement? Are you aware of the circumstances past and present within which this home still exists? This is not a Usonian although it has several Usonian hallmarks. Primarily, there is no central core to the house. We created a central core by adding the addition. The living room and fireplace nook were separated from the kitchen and dining area by a 75 X 10 foot library on the main floor and nothing else. We added a "family room" along the library to give the house a place for the family to "gather"! The house had no such place. Furthermore, at 4400 sq ft, this was not designed as a "moderate cost" home. I was not here in 1951, but I am certain that the wealthy Charles Glore did not strap on the overalls and invest in a little sweat equity by helping to lay brick or shovel the concrete as many of us do. I have a wonderful set of photos from the Lake Forest Historical Society documenting the entire construction of the house and I know what Glore looked like...

How do you know that furniture was designed for this house by Wright et al.?

You said additions were "mostly... to increase the number of bedrooms..." Aside from "bedrooms" what about the other additions that Wright designed?

This is our "home" and not a museum nor a bed and breakfast. We do not rent it out. Although, I do commend you for opening a piece of artwork to the public, this is not what I do. I sell nothing from the house; it is not a business for me. However, I have toiled here in the truest sense of the word and must admit that I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Also, "nonsense" is in the eye of the beholder. Opinions are another story.

Respectfully,

Richard
Homeowner

RJH

Post by RJH »

Richard,

I never will know all the facts as much as the homeowner ever will. My comments are mostly directed as inquires. I think you have been a relatively good steward of the Glore house. I have seen old photos of the exterior of the house and it had been in some rough shape. Mostly due to lack of maintenance. However, you clearly went the wrong direction with the addition, painting the ceiling white and removing the amber tinted glass.

I am very familiar with Lake Forest having lived in the area for 6 years. It is a very wealthy Chicago suburb of extremely large and oversized houses and I suspect that you are trying to mistakenly modify Glore to fit this profile of McMansions so the house will sell. I see you bought the house in 1999. It is unlikely a developer would have been successful tearing the house down, though. I was living in Chicago in 2001 when a developer was trying to tear down the Wright designed Friedman house in Bannockburn, IL which is a similar community as yours. The FLWBC got involved and did a national media blitz and saved the house. They also did this with another old Wright house in Glencoe, IL. I don

RJH

Post by RJH »

Richard,

One more important thing. I suggest saving all the old parts prior to adding the addition so a new owner can put back to original.

Yes. I have studied the Glore floorplan is the past.

Richard

Post by Richard »

RJH

You either did not understand my post or just skimmed it thereby diminishing anything you had to say.

Again, the ceilings were painted white when I bought the house and the amber triangular lights were long gone upon my arrival. Ya can't build the pools because of successive ravine ordinance setbacks let alone an enormous cost. The table which you talk about on the side of the fireplace would not work especially with the size of the module being reduced before construction. We did a mockup of the table and it would have had the dining chairs in the pathway to the kitchen and would have had the table and diners fried from the other side from the fireplace.

I don't think this particular furniture placement and design were field tested...

Having reread Sergeant again, it is clear to me that this house is a very atypical Usonian if it can be called that. Primary principles were violated but again many of the hallmarks are here. It is an interesting debate.

The other presumptions and aspersions you made will not be dignified with a response. It is unfortunate because sometimes you do express worthy ideas and you are also committed to the cause.

Sincerely,

Richard
Homeowner

Richard

Post by Richard »

RJH,

After your last PS about "saving all the old parts" and the library being the core, I am done.

So long,

Richard
Homeowner

RJH

Post by RJH »

Richard,

My apologies if I misunderstood your chat post The wording made it sounded like

Richard

Post by Richard »

RJH

Thanks,

Richard
Homeowner

RJH

Post by RJH »

Richard, Can you send me an email at Richard@HaynesHouseLLC.com? I would like to forward something to you. Thank you.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Interesting for those of us not so lucky to breathe the stratified air getting to see owners "go at it"! It is impossible to know for sure how Wright may or not react, althought he certainly would feel he is the only one qualified to alter his original work.

I have problems with some Wright alterations; Rosenbaum and Sondern come to mind. Regardless, Wright saw it fit to alter his "pure" designs, and at a time of an ever increasing work load, apprentice involvement might have been significant on "remodels". It is not a stretch to think Wright was more focused on "the next one", unbuilt schemes, and everything else that kept shaking out of his sleeve, rather than a remodel. Maybe not, but at least those two I mentioned don't work for me anymore than some of the questionable 50's buildings.

Howe and others have made sensitive changes to Wright buildings, and I see no reason not to acknowledge the ability of good design, such as Mr. Hardings efforts, in keeping the work relevant and useful two succeeding generations. Wright would agree these are homes first and B&B's and museums secondarily.

Recognizing good design where appropriate keeps these buildings alive, and purity may not be any more valid than art simply for arts sake, which sometimes can be taken a little too far. Thanks to a talented architect, Glore remains a beautiful building!