Shavin house pics

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Shavin house pics

Post by SDR »

A blogger http://archidose.blogspot.com/ [see "The Year in Photos] was kind enough to post one of these shots; here is the complete album. . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wizum/sets ... 318800125/

Some exceptional stonework, here, and those wonderful canted roof fascias. . .

SDR

Richard

Post by Richard »

Oh, this is great. I had taken a look at the topic and thought it was spam!

"Shavin" house pictures... Then I thought twice. I've got to get my head out of the gutter as I almost missed these photos.

Great house!
Homeowner

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's kind of delicious -- a long straight drive up to the house, without a clue to the "payoff": a magnificent outlook beyond (northward) at the top of the site. And the original shot that shows the drive back to the street from the house.

I'm not crazy about Wright's "flip-top" houses -- the ones from the last decade, with what seems to me to be too steep a pitch, to only one part of the roof. But I'm a purist, I suppose -- and I haven't actually visited any of these.

SDR

Deke

Post by Deke »

Terrific to see another design in the flesh as it were. Love the stone work, though the kitchen cabinets...as my girlfriend would say, "Ugh!".

I'm always fascinated at how FLW houses show their age, with the wood elements starting to weather or buckle, while the stonework remains fresh and sharp.

Deke

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:I'm not crazy about Wright's "flip-top" houses -- the ones from the last decade, with what seems to me to be too steep a pitch, to only one part of the roof. But I'm a purist, I suppose -- and I haven't actually visited any of these.SDR

I had the same opinion. Most published photos of them, including Shavin, are unflattering. I'm not surprised to see they are actually beautiful designs, with Peterson representing the essence of this genre.

Whether the high slopes are due to structural considerations, I don't know. The steep pitch certainly imparts drama to the window walls, not to mention that shed roofs are economical..... well, maybe not in a Wright house, but that may also have been a factor in their design.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I don't know. . . Drama, certainly. Maybe he wanted to clearly distinguish between the flat roofs and the pitched one. I'm just cynical enough to suggest that he wanted to distinguish between his houses and other contemporary designs; most of them with pitched roofs had low slopes. Think of the Eichlers, as an example.

Of course, these houses probably look smaller "in the flesh" than in photos; perhaps the living rooms are less grandiose than I think they are.

SDR