Dana Thomas House Christmas Celebration/How do you decorate?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
hypnoraygun

Dana Thomas House Christmas Celebration/How do you decorate?

Post by hypnoraygun »

Last night I went to the Dana Thomas house for their Christmas tours. It was Luminary Sunday. They had about 1,000 real candle Luminaries all over the complex. There was a fire in the fire place and musicians, singers and Father Christmas all inside the house. It was amazing! The dining room table had every place setting full. It was an amazing display. I went on two tours, I wanted the longer tour again so I did that, then starting when it got dark they had a silent "walk through" type of tour. With the music playing etc...

One neat thing to see, but it was hard to try to get a picture of, was through the entrance door, you could see the Statue there with the fire behind it. Very cool.

I got a few fairly decent pictures of the luminaries that I will post on my Flickr site. I will put up the link later if anyone is interested.

The tour made me think about a lot of things regarding the house, but one thing came to mind. How do other FLW home owners decorate for Christmas? I would be curious to see pictures or hear details on how you decorate the homes. Outside and inside. Each Tree and room had a different theme and color scheme. The staff and volunteers at the Dana Thomas House did an AMAZING job with this event and should be recognized for that. ...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Dana is amazing. The restoration, the way it's run, first class all the way. FLW, as "modern" as he was, liked old fashioned Christmas celebrations and decorations. I guess underneath it all, he was a softie.

hypnoraygun

A few pictures

Post by hypnoraygun »

I put up a few pictures of the Dana Thomas House decorated for the event. Evening photos as well. All outside of course.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypnoraygun/

Palli Davis Holubar

Christmas Decorations

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

At the Weltzheimer-Johnson House we have a few quiet asymetrical arrangements of white pine limbs, gathered from walks in the forest after a heavy wind. Simple wooden marquetry stars dangle. In the hearth we place pine boughs and a collection of spectacular long pine cones collected by Prof. Ellen Johnson, the last resident/owner before we became a historic house museum.

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

At the Weltzheimer-Johnson House we have a few quiet asymetrical arrangements of white pine limbs, gathered from walks in the forest after a heavy wind. Simple wooden marquetry stars dangle. In the hearth we place pine boughs and a collection of spectacular long pine cones collected by Prof. Ellen Johnson, the last resident/owner before we became a historic house museum.

Thanks for posting! Also thanks for having great photos of the home on your web site. I am actually planning a trip out that way in the next few months. I will definitely have to make it by the Weltzheimer-Johnson house! Your designs sound great. Pictures of the decorations would be nice on your site. Thanks for sharing!

SpringGreen

Thanks so much for the photos

Post by SpringGreen »

I've heard about the Dana-Thomas Christmas decorations for years; it's great to finally get a sense of the house at this time of year. That Flower in the Crannied Wall photo is wonderful--such great light. It's so hard to capture the light quality unless you have a tripod and don't use a flash.

Seeing his buildings at night is such a treat; no wonder you went through twice. It's a whole different experience that makes you experience the space in a completely new way. Sometimes, when I've see his buildings at night--either in person or in photographs--I think, "D*mn! He's doing it again! Totally making me love his work!" (which is a nice compliment, but still, I can't get away from the man).

Next evolution: see his buildings with music playing!

Thanks again.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Cara

Decorations at Fallingwater

Post by Cara »

At Fallingwater, we keep the holiday decorations pretty simple. Pine boughs are placed on the shelves above the Living Room fireplace and we put poinsettas in each room. We light a fire in the fireplace if the projected high is under 40 degrees F.

SpringGreen

40 degrees

Post by SpringGreen »

We light a fire in the fireplace if the projected high is under 40 degrees F.
That brings up something I've been curious about for a long time: does Fallingwater have heat? And if so, what kind? How cold does it get when the temps consistently go below freezing--and how long does it take to warm back up?
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Cara

Heat at Fallingwater

Post by Cara »

Fallingwater does have heat--2 oil fueled furnaces for water radiators--one for the Main House and one for the Guest House. Radiators are built in behind the FLW designed furniture. We usually keep it in the low- to mid- 60s. I am sure when the Kaufmanns lived here they used there fireplaces in the winter, for the ambience as much as the warmth.

A Wright Homeowner

Christmas in Riverside

Post by A Wright Homeowner »

As much as the neighborhood kids would give anything to see Santa flying off the cantilevered roof, we, too, tend to keep it simple. Greens in the planters, wreaths or handmade paper snowflakes on the doors. We haven't done exterior lights in the past (we only have one exterior outlet) but we experimented this year with a single run of those small clear lights around the porch. It looks kind of neat. In the years that we host Christmas dinner we do real candle luminaria up the drive on the 25th - nothing like the Dana House, though - I'd need a much larger staff... :lol:

With our unseasonably warm weather this December, the only thing missing is snow. The house looks so serene when Riverside is covered in that cold white blanket. And nothing can replace the feeling of looking out the art glass windows at Olmsted's winding streets as the carols play.

Here's wishing you all a Merry Christmas and the joy of the season.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Anne Sporer Ruetz, whose parents were the second owners of the Hardy House (1938-1947) and David Archer, whose parents were the third owners (1947-1957) remember having tall Christmas trees in the two-story living room. They would decorate them from the balcony. One of them told me about bringing the trees in the casement windows in the living room.

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg