This American House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

This American House

Post by Roderick Grant »

A new book is coming out on July 15. "This American House" from Pomegranate is about the Delbert W. Meier ASB House (S204.4) in Monona, Iowa, undergoing restoration by the current owners who have a website: thisamericanhouse.com

SDR

Re: This American House

Post by SDR »

Surprise ! Nice story, well told. Looks like the house still has its original exterior surface ?

Other than some interior color choices, they're doing great. Took paint off brick, added it to kitchen cabinets. Net plus ? In the green and white bathroom, the white ceiling above the window-top trim is Wrightian---though the wood trim would have been dark ?

Researching the full ownership history is not something every Wright owner seems to have accomplished---though some have. This letter to a previous owner, c. 1980, from Bruce Pfeiffer, is revealing as to the Foundation's policy then regarding use vs ownership of drawings . . .

SDR

Post by SDR »

Can any Wright owner comment on present or past experience with the issue of drawings for your house: terms, conditions, cost . . . ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

By the time I was a Wright homeowner in 2008, all I did was email the Wright Archive and state that I was an owner requesting drawings to aid in restoration. I “inherited” prints from the design and construction process when we closed on the property, but I didn’t have a full final set. I sent some recent pics of the house interior and exterior for their records, and a set of 11x17 Xerox’s was sent by Margo Stipe. These copies were presumably printed from the photos made of the drawings in conjunction with the Getty. I paid postage and the cost of the copies... $15 or $20 at most. Admittedly, 11x17’s can be difficult to read...I scanned them to allow zooming in on a computer screen. Artstor has democratized this process now.

I suspect the cost noted in BBP’s letter may be before the readily copied photos were made. Coping of the old fragile drawings must have been more time consuming. Not sure if this cost included placing the desired drawings in the plastic sleeves they are all in now...the fee could have helped fund that effort.

DRN

Post by DRN »

There is a welcome and overdue flurry of action in the realm of ASBH publishing.

This is a link to a website focused on the recently documented Elizabeth Murphy ASBH House near Milwaukee.

https://elizabethmurphyhouse.com/

A book is scheduled to be released in April, 2021:

https://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/5939.htm

ndhayes

Post by ndhayes »

Here's a tad more about the timing of two new ASBH books in spring/summer 2021, and the informal collaboration in stewardship that is developing among owners.

https://elizabethmurphyhouse.com/2021/0 ... ChU_K6yvjE

Anyone who cares for an ASBH is welcome to join our group!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

ndhayes, Have you heard that the Burleigh House in Wilmette has just sold for $635K?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Perhaps we can decide which of these two threads to continue; it's problematic to have two contemporaneous threads going, on the same subject and with the same contributors.

Here's the other thread: http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... =2&t=14298

S