Lake Geneva Hotel

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
juankbedoya

Lake Geneva Hotel

Post by juankbedoya »

I'm surprised that there is no topic about this demolished building. There aren't plans, pictures (exterior nor interior). I hope you can share us information much as possible. Why it was demolished? It looks very beautiful, very horizontal, very prairie..!!

SDR

Re: Lake Geneva Hotel

Post by SDR »

Hi, Juan ! Look again; there are six pages of posts containing the word Geneva:

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/search ... rds=Geneva

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Monograph 3

Taschen I

© The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

SDR

Post by SDR »

The "Side ELevations" drawing exemplifies Mr Wright's tendency to alter existing drawings---even at the expense of a great deal of erasure, as here---rather than starting with a clean sheet of paper ?

I wonder if the colored glass was ever photographed. The building was demolished in 1970; someone might have colored photos. The entrance flag pole/lantern device is delicious . . .

S

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

Patrick Meehan is the expert on the Lake Geneva Hotel. Hopefully the LGH book that he has been working on for years will be published.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Bob Sweeney (of the bibliography) bought some windows from the hotel. I believe there was no colored glass in them at all.

SDR

Post by SDR »

According to the descriptions, those (like the detail drawing above) would be second-floor windows. One wonders where first-floor (colored glass) sash would be on public display . . .

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:50 pm
Hi, Juan ! Look again; there are six pages of posts containing the word Geneva:

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/search ... rds=Geneva

S
Amazing.!! Thanks for the drawings and info. I searched with the words "lake geneva hotel" and I didn't find those posts. By the way the only hotel that still remains is Park Inn hotel, right? Geneva was demolished, Imperial was demolished, but I heard about other hotel that was also demolished... Is that true, which one? Thanks again for the tons of drawings !!
Last edited by juankbedoya on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Here's a story of the life and death of Geneva Hotel..!

https://atthelakemagazine.com/lake-genevas-lost-hotel/
Last edited by juankbedoya on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright Chat search requires that terms be separated by AND . . .

Here's the Artstor site; search "Wright ______" (Wright plus name of project).

https://library.artstor.org/#/collection/100116947

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

This article refers to SIX built hotels. I know 3: Geneva, Imperial and Park Inn. Here appears Bitter Root in Montana, unfortunately destroyed by fire and I searched about it and I see it was a small hotel. But the article doesn't name the other two. Is it true that there were six built hotels ? Which are the two remaining?

https://www.architectmagazine.com/desig ... -reopens_o
Last edited by juankbedoya on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Listed in Storrer as numbers 143 and 144 are, respectively, the demolished Horseshoe Inn, Estes Park, Colorado (may or may not have actually been built) and Como Orchards Summer Colony, Derby, Montana, destroyed, all but 2 cabins, by fire.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:58 am
Listed in Storrer as numbers 143 and 144 are, respectively, the demolished Horseshoe Inn, Estes Park, Colorado (may or may not have actually been built) and Como Orchards Summer Colony, Derby, Montana, destroyed, all but 2 cabins, by fire.
Thanks...!! I'm gonna research. I have never heard about Horseshoe Inn... About Orchards Summer Colony I thought it was a project never built. It's a shame that there exist only one of six built hotels.