another installment of my series "Can you see it from the road"?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
MOman2

another installment of my series "Can you see it from the road"?

Post by MOman2 »

This time Washington state
1946 - Chauncey Griggs House

1952 - Ray Brandes House

Dont they have fall and all the leaves are down??
Last edited by MOman2 on Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Re: another installment of my series "Can you see it from the road"?

Post by SDR »

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Brandes is listed in Storrer with the former city name, Issaquah; the community has been renamed Sammamish. A Google view of 212th Avenue @ 24th Street, which is all Storrer lists, shows nothing in the area that resembles Brandes, but there are a lot of lots with too much greenery to know what lurks beneath.

Griggs was looked into on WC a while back, but Storrer's address for that seems not to be anywhere near the house.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I just found a legitimate address for Griggs: 6819 79th Street West, Tacoma, WA

Although the property is surrounded by a lot of trees, a Google aerial view shows the house in a clearing. Unfortunately, Google street view is not available, in part because of the trees, and in part because Google has no access to 79th Street, so, no, it cannot be viewed from the road.

An interesting detail apparent from the aerial is the roof pattern. The original roof was made of cypress boards rather than shingles. I thought the roof had been redone in standard shingles, but if so, it has been reroofed in some material that replicates the boards striated pattern. The highest eave on the house, over the gallery, has been altered with a downward sloping extension, and a roof extension over the carport area is also not part of the original. All the original roof elements were sheds, but now the parking area by the bridge has a hip roof.

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/building/14491/ includes undated aerial photo

Taliesin drawings are seldom presented or published with dates; the sheets themselves are not normally dated, except when signed by the architect. A Griggs roof framing plan appears to show a hipped condition (surrounding a flat roof) at the carport, as do two presumably late elevations sheets. This does not mean that the house was constructed thus . . .

Erasures of roof elements can be seen on one elevation drawing; both indicate a diagonal roof texture.

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)