What's coming up Wright on the Wright Legacy Group.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
M Pipher

What's coming up Wright on the Wright Legacy Group.

Post by M Pipher »

For those who are interested

What's coming up Wright

Fireplace Friday this will take place ever Friday till March 19th.

Saturday 23rd & 30th the January feature, Artist Studio Saturday's

This Saturday we go west to Auburn, California & the Florence Hawkins house and studio.

The past Artist Studio Saturday's featured.
Jan. 2, Franklin Watkins studio (Barnegat Light, New Jersey) (T.4021)
Jan 9, The 1903 and Artist's house and studio (T.0311).
Jan 16, A special double feature, The Oak Park Studio (T. 9506) & the Frank Lloyd Wright house and studio, Goethe Street T.1113.

More American System built drawings will be added to the Wright Legacy Archives. (About another 50 or so) Then the album that house's projects from 1911 to 1920. will be worked on and completed this will coincide with the timeline drawings

Moore Monday Part 2 this Monday 1/25/, Part 3 2/1.

Taliesin Tuesdays ~ because there are so many wonderful corners of the Estate to explore.

W by W Each Wednesday another project from a client with the last name starting with W will be posted in timeline order. Coming up....
Francisco Terrace, Waller Apartments, Chauncey Williams, Wolf Lake Amusement Park for Edward C. Waller, and so on. I am hopping it will be fun for everyone.

February 1st to 7th Midway Gardens week

February 1st will also start the timeline drawings (T.1401 to T.5916)

February 8th to 14th Unity Week (A week long Celebration of Unity Temple Oak Park IL.)

And anything else we might want to explore. https://www.facebook.com/groups/128477375503418/

Michael P.
Last edited by M Pipher on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Re: What's coming up Wright on the Wright Legacy Group.

Post by SDR »

Perhaps you'd like to add a link to the relevant page(s), Michael ?

I'd suggest adding future announcements of Wright Legacy activity to this thread, so that readers will have a reference to previous announcements---and to the link(s). Best wishes !

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Thank You SDR, I meant to include the link . A lot is happening now and just thought some might be interested.

Michael P.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is it possible to see anything, as a non-member viewer only ?

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

SDR there is content on the open page https://www.facebook.com/The-Wright-Leg ... 740677400/ but I try not to go to deep here, especially with copy's of original drawings. If there is something you are personally looking for and I have a copy I am happy to share it with you. In part that is what this group is about, getting to see stuff that otherwise would be a rare if not ever type of thing. If you are on Facebook and you want to message me I am always happy to talk. Michael P.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I am not on facebook, which is why I ask. Curious to see what you came up with for the rather elusive "artist's house" of 1903: listed among the projects at the back of Monograph 2 but not illustrated; appearing on p 170 of Taschen I with a plan and two perspective sketches, and of course occupying Plate XXX of the Wasmuth portfolio alongside the Cheney house.

It is also mentioned as a 1903 project for Oak Park in "In the Nature of Materials," where It is specified (as in Wasmuth) as a one-story house---yet the plans clearly show stairs going both up and down from the principal level . . .

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Somewhere I saw a drawing of a studio for Richard Bock. It was one of the hard-edge B&W renderings he produced in the 20s.

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

SDR There are 3 drawing on file in the FLWFA. I have copies of all 3 drawings. Plate 0311.002 &0311.005 are in Taschen I. Plate 0311.001 is a floor plan with room dimensions. The stairs by the entry hall can be a little confusing be on plate .001 you can see clearly whats happening here. When one comes in the main entrance (upper right corner) there are 4 steps up into the the home. In the hall the first set of steps (4) go down to a a door to a garden area with a fountain. The next set of stairs are the ones in question, coming back in from the garden area there is a door on the right that has a passageway to the rear kitchen entrance also the stairs down to a basement presumably for mechanical. There is a set of steps up, in the passageway to the kitchen on the main level. This is the confusing part as the home has a low pitch hipped roof . On the one plan you can make the lines of the roof above. No dormer is shown, at best a shallow attic space over the center of the hip. If you need anything else, just reach out. mp.artworks@yahoo.com

Michael P.

M Pipher

Post by M Pipher »

Reidy
The studio for Richard Bock, falls right after Unity Temple in Oak Park. T.0612. A wonderful project.
Michael P..

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you, Michael; that describes what I saw. Most interesting . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

From Taschen I, p 170. "Somewhat similar" seriously understates the case: only the terminations and the bath layout differ among the three plan drawings. As ever, enlarge images by opening in a new tab.

ImageT0311.005

ImageT0311.002

On Artstor:

ImageT0311.001

From Wasmuth, Dover edition

From "In the Nature of Materials":

Images © The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)
Last edited by SDR on Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

ImageT0311.005