former FLWBC board member passes

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

former FLWBC board member passes

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Daniel Chrzanowski, former FLWBC board member, owner of the Dobkins House in Canton, OH has passed away from a heart attack, pneumonia and Covid-19.

https://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/ ... =197566114
Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Re: former FLWBC board member passes

Post by SDR »

In 2009 Dan shared photos of repairs to the Dobkins house doors. I've not been sure if these were his tools---or if this is Dan---but I assumed that it is: (editor note: This is Dan)

peterm

Post by peterm »

This is just terrible news. I’m so sorry.

I met Dan indirectly first through Wright Chat, then later in person when he nominated us for the Wright Spirit Award in 2016. He was a lovely, creative man, and so helpful and supportive to us. His stewardship of the Dobkins house was superb.
We send our deepest condolences to Dianne.

Peter

SDR

Post by SDR »

Pat Mahoney kindly contributes two photos showing Dan with Peter at the Lamberson house, February 2016.

DRN

Post by DRN »

A kind soul and dare I say a polymath?
https://obits.cleveland.com/obituaries/ ... =197566114

He will be missed.

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, not a heart attack ? I hope Dan did not suffer excessively; Covid is not a party when you have a serious case. I am glad to know more about Dan---as is so often the case when an obituary is published. He must have been a good friend.

The Dobkins house looked so fine when the restoration was complete.

jay

Post by jay »

Several years ago, my interest in FLLW began to take a "deep dive", as they say.... Somehow or another, I typed "Dobkins Wright" into a Google images search, and soon landed on the Wright Chat for the very first time... I was utterly transfixed by the intimate photographs of the Dobkins house, taken not by a professional photographer, but by someone who was sharing this house as an everyday home, throughout the day and into the night, in all of its honest everyday glory. The narrative that accompanied these images, from "dtc", brought me even closer to a more "grounded" understanding of this wonderful home.

While I didn't know Mr. Chrzanowski, I'm saddened to learn of his passing. I owe him a sincere thanks for a somewhat happenstance event that opened a window for me into a deeper and more communal world for studying Wright.

The thread:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 332#p23332

SDR

Post by SDR »

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I had the great fortune, in spring 2010, to email Dan when I was modeling Dobkins.
It was an honor to discuss the home he labored over to prevent time from eroding a jewel. He was very patient as I modeled and would answer questions as quick as possible.
Sadly I never met him in person but through email I feel I did.
JAT
Jeff T

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

I was fortunate enough to visit Dan and Dianne twice at their lovely home. On my second visit, I was able to spend the night in the guest bedroom for a most restful sleep. Dan joined me the next day to tour the Belden Brick works and as always, he was there to share all his experience and knowledge on everything Wright, graphic design, guitars, collecting real things and music. The Dobkins house remains one of the best due to Dan's efforts. I shall miss him.