Taliesin West

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JimM

Re: Taliesin West

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:37 pm
Is Jim correct in surmising that the bell-tower door might be post-Wright ? Sorry that my familiarity with TW history isn't what it could be . . .Not to be utterly pedantic, but two of the doors are irregular hexagons, the other two irregular pentagons---I believe.S
Stephen, the bell tower is Wright... still surmise the door was added later, maybe due to AC?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Jim sent a classic Pedro Guerrero photo of the Bell Tower at T West.

Here are three photos of the Living Room; a door is seen at the far wall in two (?) of them.

photos © Pedro Guerrero

photo courtesy Peter Maunu
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

capie

Post by capie »

perfect I meant this door ... did you happen to see any drawings?

SDR

Post by SDR »

No. But there is this 1950 photo of the Garden Room (also called the living room ?) showing the large door. This seems to be a persistent feature; have we seen that door open, in any photo ?

Further photos: Wright's office, photographed in 1951 by Ezra Stoller, shows one opening with no door (yet), and in the foreground another door in the open position.

Here's a photo, also by Stoller, of the passage at the Cabaret Theater, where to maximize the clear opening the bottom of the door has had to be bent:

The only drawings I found are building sections. One of them shows a door opening. All of the images seen in this post are found in Taschen II.

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Under the stairs next to the bell tower is (or was) a space where vegetables were kept on a large open concrete shelf with a perpetual spray of water keeping the veggies cold and fresh. Details like that are what made T-West magical. Many of the alterations over the years seem to have tried to civilize what was basically a Neolithic camp, turning it into a suburban house.

capie

Post by capie »

I would have a jpeg image of the open door but forgive me I can not insert it ..

SDR

Post by SDR »

Capie, you can send a jpeg to me if you like, and I'll post it . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Love the thread.

SDR

Post by SDR »

. . . or you could sign on to a web host, who will provide your images with the URLs they need to be visible on the Internet.

The Dobkins house thread linked elsewhere here today is filled with images Dan C sent me for posting . . .

S