Hugo Avila's Wright Renders

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jay

Re: Hugo Avila's Wright Renders

Post by jay »

Searching around the Artstor link DRN provided today, we've got a handful more drawings to review in the furthering mystery of the Stracke project....

Here is a drawing with the fireplace moved. It appears an apprentice did the plan, and Wright came and added comments.
https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 9702620323
The curved terrace on the west seems to say "What is purpose?".
A terrace to the north seems drawn in by Wright's hand....?
And the commentary on the main space is about an enlargement:
"Could maybe moved out by one more section––although proportion is good. Believe room is pretty small for all kinds of activities. What are dimensions?"

This drawing is interesting regarding the roof form...
https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 9702650317
The thumbnail illustration (on top right on floor plan) seems to show a hip roof, and do the two notes that say "slope" in the living room indicate the same, or something else?

And this drawing looks to be from Wright (?) as an entirely different scheme, which has its main space "flipped".
https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 9702679206
Could anyone who can read Wright's handwriting tell me what it says to the right of "Terrace"? And below that, which looks to be the hallway, what does that say?
(I also find the lines drawn in the pathways of the house to be fascinating... Is this Wright checking the directional movements of his design? An evidence of his plotted "compression and release" effect?)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well---I've not seen Wright use an all-caps hand as seen on the first drawing. And it's odd that he (?) would ask what the room dimensions are, considering that immediately below that is the unit dimension of four feet. Perhaps that was added subsequently ?

The second drawing includes an elevation of the house at far right, drawn in the orientation that relates it to the plan. The word(s) "slope" on the plan become clear after a look at this elevation drawing.

The third drawing is notated in Wright's hand. One wonders if this is his sketch entire, using a gridded sheet applied to a larger piece of paper (?). It certainly is the original scheme, flopped.

Now we have seen that first scheme in at least three times as many drawings as the second (Rattenbury ?) design, suggesting affirmation of the course of the design for this client as reported by Pfeiffer.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

We have seen Jim McIntosh's digital and physical models of Taliesin I.

http://www.jgmdesign.net/taliesin.html

Hugo Avila found the digital model at Jim's site, and applied his skills to it.

JJM2

Post by JJM2 »

Amazing work Hugo! Your textures, landscape details and lighting really add another level of depth to this recreation. Also, very cool that you could use Jim's digital model as a base to build from. Keep up the amazing work.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hugo has re-created another unbuilt Usonian.   The second scheme for Gibbins G Cornwell, Goshen, PA (1955) followed an initial one, a solar hemicycle closely modeled on the second Herbert Jacobs residence.  Both Cornwell designs are represented in the Artstor files;  I show the Scheme 1 site plan next to the one for Scheme 2, by way of comparison and contrast.

To enlarge images: Left-click on an image; a pane will appear with an option to "open in new tab." Selecting that will present a URL at the top of your screen; hit that to enlarge the image to its full hosted dimension.

ImageMono8ImageTaschen III

Drawings © The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

Images © 2021 by Hugo Avila

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

I really appreciate and I thank you a lot for attaching Hugo's renders with your architectural drawings. That's perfect, a dream come true for unbuilt works..!! Hugo has worked a lot with unbuilt projects. But there are still missing some projects like the Prefabricated house 3 for Erdman Homes, some more and my favorite the Darryl McKinney house (until Hugo surprises us with other interesting project) I love that kind of Teepee house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh. Thanks, Juan. (I wish they were "my" drawings . . .!) I hope my reliance on the newly-discovered source of Taliesin "work product"---mixed with a healthy sprinkling of Wright's own doodlings, the genesis of a fresh Idea time after time, year upon year---won't pall with time. Of course these files are available to all, as I will continue to remind readers. I just can't resist the impulse to present selected images directly, for the delectation of those who come here for joy and inspiration.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

In November Hugo shared five views of his model of the third design for the Marshall Erdman prefabricated homes program. Like other Avila rendered digital models, this one is for an unbuilt Wright design.

Image Taschen III

Image Monograph 8

In the Monographs this house is the last project shown. In Taschen, on the other hand, a dozen projects follow Erdman 3; the last one is the pair of houses designed for brothers Gilbert and Daniel Weiland. Those houses, whose drawings Mr Wright did not live to see, are based on the Erdman 2 prefab design. Wes Peters signed the drawings:

This is the Erdman brochure page on which Wright sketched his modifications, leading to the Erdman 3 design:

Here Mr Wright tries something novel: the upper roof has a different profile than the lower one.

And now, Hugo's model:

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:22 pm
Yet another unbuilt Usonian, again with (at least) two versions documented in the files, was for Dr Victor Stracke in Appleton, WI. Work on the design began in 1951. By 1956 no plan acceptable to Dr Stracke had been produced, and the project was abandoned. Hugo Avila has modeled a version of the first design.

Drawings © The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)
Very interesting house... Was this house the only usonian automatic with sloping roof? I'm very intrigued about how to build that. Both schemes are very similar for me at least in the floor plans.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:42 pm
Hugo has re-created another unbuilt Usonian.   The second scheme for Gibbins G Cornwell, Goshen, PA (1955) followed an initial one, a solar hemicycle closely modeled on the second Herbert Jacobs residence.  Both Cornwell designs are represented in the Artstor files;  I show the Scheme 1 site plan next to the one for Scheme 2, by way of comparison and contrast.

To enlarge images: Left-click on an image; a pane will appear with an option to "open in new tab." Selecting that will present a URL at the top of your screen; hit that to enlarge the image to its full hosted dimension.

I love this project, the horizontality and that looong living room ..!! I'm curious about the windows of the bedrooms because are very small. any idea of that choice?

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm
In November Hugo shared five views of his model of the third design for the Marshall Erdman prefabricated homes program. Like other Avila rendered digital models, this one is for an unbuilt Wright design.

In the Monographs this house is the last project shown. In Taschen, on the other hand, a dozen projects follow Erdman 3; the last one is the pair of houses designed for brothers Gilbert and Daniel Weiland. Those houses, whose drawings Mr Wright did not live to see, are based on the Erdman 2 prefab design. Wes Peters signed the drawings:

This is the Erdman brochure page on which Wright sketched his modifications, leading to the Erdman 3 design:

Here Mr Wright tries something novel: the upper roof has a different profile than the lower one.

And now, Hugo's model:

I don't think I'm exaggerating, but this tiny house is one of Wright's best. It is simple, clear, functional and very beautiful. No waste of space. A kitchen according to the size of the living room it serves, a decent bathroom, decent wardrobes. Very Wright, very horizontal, the use of geometry, he broke the rigid box with those circles . Inside, clerestory windows. He did an excellent job with this small house instead of a lot of his big houses. I hope to see this small house built someday, why not? I could live here.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

What are the exterior walls made of? Looks like bands on concrete or stucco with narrow bands of wood. Lovely.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Frame construction, plywood interior surface, Masonite exterior cladding with wood battens.

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:21 pm
Frame construction, plywood interior surface, Masonite exterior cladding with wood battens.

S
That's why I would love to see this small and affordable house to be built someday.
By the way our friend Hugo has done some works more. I hope with time you can attach the other ones: Berdan, Carrol, Sundt, Newman and my favorite, Darryl McKinney house...!!! I wonder to know what's next for Hugo..!!

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm not sure if I've see any of the ones you mention. I wait for him to send me the latest---but where would I look to find these others ?

S