Hugo Avila's Wright Renders

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Hugo Avila's Wright Renders

Post by SDR »

I would expect that all the free-hand marks on that plan drawing are Wright's---and the fireplace is certainly scribbled out and accompanied by a faint arrow---and an unmistakable "fireplace" in Wright's hand. Someone has made all the windows into casements---on both sides of the space, which is always nice for view and ventilation---and someone has written "Big Windows" and "River View" (is that Wright's lettering ?). "Lanai" has been added over "Yard."

SDR

Post by SDR »

The thing that continues to astonish me in Hugo's modeling is the lush and rampant landscaping---seemingly reaching as far as the eye can see. I really like the semi-mown "lawns"; does every waving blade of grass have to be individually created ?

I wonder how one would maintain that condition, on an actual lawn . . . maybe just bigger wheels on the mower . . .

S

jay

Post by jay »

So the handwritten word beneath the Terrace says "Fireplace"?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I believe so, based on looking at a lot of Mr Wright's often-difficult handwriting . . .

Wasn't it Gene Masselink who was the most adept at deciphering the boss's hand ?

S

hugo78

Post by hugo78 »

Hello. I'm Hugo. Thanks for the post, I'm very honored that you see my work. Answering the question about if the grid makes a difference, I mean yes, it helps in the first stage of modeling, I usually start with the plans and create a grid on it, based on the project module. All the walls, roofs, windows, and even the floors have to follow the grid. Another thing to say is that the more information you have, the better the result of the 3D model.

hugo78

Post by hugo78 »

SDR wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:47 pm
Not inconceivable, considering the apparent intransigence of the client.

And, a non-Wright design might account for the peculiarities pointed to by Pfeiffer in his description of Stracke #2 in the Monograph.

Astute Wrightians will note the oddity of a sloping Usonian Automatic coffered concrete ceiling in the model shown here. Mr Avila did not have the advantage of a peek at the Monograph entry for Stracke #1, which mentions a wood roof with plaster soffit and (presumably) a plywood ceiling surface. The appearance of a figured roof fascia on the available elevation and view drawings would have aided in the misapprehension of the designer's intention.

S
My fault. I did not find much information about this project and I took a risk. I like this project and in my first intention I only wanted to make exterior renderings, but I went a little further imagining what the interior would be like, and with the information I had I assumed that the sloping roof was the same module as the flat roof.

jay

Post by jay »

I believe so, based on looking at a lot of Mr Wright's often-difficult handwriting . . .
Ah okay.

I take it the other notes on the drawings aren't Wright's, though? Perhaps an apprentice wrote the notes on the left side concerning the client's remarks on the initial design...? And Wright came along and made the fireplace change..?

On the perspective drawing, is that a carport penciled in on the right side of the home? And if so, would Wright have considered moving the fireplace for the purpose of supporting the carport cantilever?

The note "Carport? (Flip House)" also raises questions in that flipping the house would've lost what appears to be a carefully coordinated river view in the main space.... It seems the second plan retains Wright's initial concept for the living room, essentially, while adding the client requests.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Hugo. That raises an interesting question: would a square-module house with a pitched roof exhibit evidence of the module on, for instance, a ceiling of square wood panels---which would become rectangles if they followed the grid ?

Eppstein is a 12x16 block house with a shed roof; it escapes the issue with a plaster ceiling. I know of no built true Usonian Automatic with a sloping roof. Among brick houses, Dobkins also has a plaster ceiling. There may be a shed-roof Usonian with a plywood ceiling . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright largely abandoned the cantilevered carport in the 'fifties---though there are exceptions, like Sweeton. Usonian Automatics and many other houses had carports supported by a free-standing tool storage unit at the outer end of the roof, or one supported on spaced piers, as in plan #2.

I'm not sure what is drawn on that colored elevation; if it's a cantilevered carport---in a different location from the one on the second plan---that would be one more peculiarity in this unusual project.

Note that, on the down-slope view drawing, the slope seems to fall at odds with where the view is indicated on the plan.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Eric Brown, Harper, Lovness, Serlin, Blair: planked ceiling

Seth Peterson: plywood rectangles

Boomer, Teater: exposed framing

Levin: ?

S

jay

Post by jay »

I'm not sure what is drawn on that colored elevation; if it's a cantilevered carport---in a different location from the one on the second plan---that would be one more peculiarity in this unusual project.
Would also be one strange carport, with its roof form.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. One way to read that full-width rectangle with horizontal striations and wiggly top edge is that it is an elevational view of a sloping shingled roof. At far right, a gable or shed roof end is canted both ways, alternately.

The extended lanai wall at left balances the composition. The presence of competing decorative checkerboard wall motifs is not Wright, to me. Perhaps the Master is picking his fights, here . . .?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That enlargement helps, SDR. I could not make out fireplace, but there it is. My guess is that FLW wrote and scribbled all of the alterations.

As to the two or three runs of banquettes at Mossberg: According to Mrs. Mossberg, whom I met at her house in 1985, the family entertained a lot, especially around the holidays, with parties for children. That living room is one of FLW's largest in the late years: 22'x38'6", plus the adjacent gallery 11'x~30' = 1,177 sf. The rest of the house is quite modest in scale,

SDR

Post by SDR »

The gathering spot around the Mossberg fire looks most inviting---cozy, yet commodious, as you say.

I would not yet have seen this house when as a design-school Junior I drew, and modeled with classmates, a suburban residence with a living-room overlook from the bedroom hallway. A professor dubbed the effect "romantic," which as a youngster was a new term for me, when applied to architecture. I suppose that's what I was after . . .

I discovered by accident, only a year or two ago, that hitting "1" while editing an iPhoto image enlarges it dramatically, allowing me to take screen grabs like the one above; it also aids in fine touch-up when removing, for instance, a page gutter line in the middle of a published image . . .

S