Modern Prairie Home in Oak Park

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Modern Prairie Home in Oak Park

Post by Tim »

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 0203-47901

I like it

Fond of the upper level ceilings

And in comparison to the McMansions of the period, it is like manna from heaven

SDR

Re: Modern Prairie Home in Oak Park

Post by SDR »

Oh, I do too. While some in the neighborhood might liken it to, say, a fire station---well, that's the kind of cross that the progressive architect has to grin and bear.

The worst that I can say is that the majority of the spaces---the minor ones---hold little charm. But as for the rest, inside and out, I'm a fan. What a breath of fresh air: rational and s e x y fenestration opening the spaces as needed and breaking the symmetry in the process (but not on the street facade) in a thoroughly elegant and convincing way. The material palette is robust and heartening---and apparently conscious of the context the building was designed for.

Of course its parti is that of many a Wright house, with the best spaces upstairs under the roof.

Maybe a little "organic" detail, to the masonry or the roof fascia, would convince any doubting neighbor that this is a residence not to be slighted ? But I'm happy with it just as it is. I think we ought to learn something about its designer . . .

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I liked the path of discovery to the hidden entry.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Tim

Post by Tim »

SDR, I spent five minutes digging. I couldn’t find the architect

There is a nearby home on DIVISION AND RIDGELAND. Same look and feel

Tim

Post by Tim »

851 N Ridgeland Ave
Oak Park, IL 60302
United States

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/851- ... 2679_zpid/

This is the other house. I used to pass by it when it was new (late 1990s). The attached garage must be newer

SDR

Post by SDR »

Do you know how rare that is ? A near-twin in the neighborhood, the same materials, forms, details, inside and out---but a different house, from the same office, presumably a near-contemporary. The beginnings of an ideal, unbuilt Usonia . . .?

I really do like this pair. The CMU base is slightly battered or stepped out from the brick wall above ? And, among other things, this building has no "side" (Br.)---not a Queen Anne front and a Mary-ann back, to paraphrase Wright. Indeed there's more homogeneity here than in any Usonian I can picture, as far as a unified envelope is concerned.

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

https://www.oakpark.com/Directory/Resou ... ntial,-Inc./

This is the builder

It seems the husband (co-owner w/wife) was the architect

Their website is not active... odd

So I performed Google searches about the business and the husband/wife individually. Not much showed (3 minutes dedicated to this effort :D)