Article: H. H. Richardson Home set to be demolished - Brookline, MA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Article: H. H. Richardson Home set to be demolished - Brookline, MA

Post by SDR »

Excellent ! I like Richardson's first-floor mansard roofs; his dormer(s) with chimney(s) directly behind them are an architectural joke and/or an enigma . . . most intriguing.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I would be interested in finding out how Richardson and Christopher Wren were entangled. I am dubious.

"Richardson was the grand exteriorist and what a commotion he created." I agree with that FLW statement. Richardson's work was a repudiation of mid-19th century American architecture. But FLW's comment that Richardson had touched upon "an organic architecture for America" just adds to the confusion of what exactly FLW meant by organic. I do not buy O'Gorman's assumption that FLW's comments on Richardson were ambivalent, nor that FLW was jealous of Richardson or Sullivan.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm. Well, it makes sense to me, from all that I've gleaned about Wright over the years; I'd say he has the man pegged pretty well. As for organic, that's always in the eye of the beholder, isn't it ?

No one gets Wright completely, I suppose; how do you pin down a mercurial figure like him . . .

I'm going to post the rest of that chapter from O'Gorman. Perhaps you'll find him going further off the rails where Wright is concerned---or not. I'm just pleased to have a Richardson biographer spilling so much ink on our hero.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

More from James F O'Gorman, from the last chapter. I've omitted only his illustration of the facade of the V C Morris shop, as I suspect most readers will have that image committed to memory.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... SF_-_1.jpg
Glessner Dining: https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... ormat=750w
Ames Memorial Library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ames_Free ... e_view.JPG
Woodland Station: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 8927294829
Ames Gate Lodge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ames_Gate_Lodge

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The former Creamette hq in Minneapolis, now an apartment building, has an entrance similar to Glessner / Morris.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Now there's an interesting facade; I wonder who designed it. Powerful and plain---plainer at the crown, now that a decorative frieze has fallen or been removed, leaving the rough corbeled brick behind.

Richardson uses that entrance detail---a short stair parallel with the street, housed under an arch---at least twice more, at the Trinity Church Rectory (Boston, 1879-80) and in a preliminary study for the Hay house in Washington, DC (1884-86). The Glessner house dates to 1885-87.

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

One source credits the building to Long & Kees.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Interesting. What's the address ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have only two books dedicated to H H Richardson. Both contain texts by James F O'Gorman. The exhibition catalog I copied from earlier contains a nice long description of the architect's practice and methods; it begins by locating him
in his chosen spot, Brookline, MA, where he lived and practiced. It seems there's more on the house, the subject of this thread, than I had realized. I'll begin by posting the first five pages of this essay, with its illustrations.

Frederick Law Olmsted is an integral part of this story; the 30-page essay ends with Olmsted's name as the second-to-last word. I'll be posting the remainder, including six pages of endnotes, tomorrow.

(Note that Richardson was married in the year that marked Wright's birth. Olmsted was Richardson's senior by 16 years.)

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

Last edited by SDR on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

jay

Post by jay »

Great stuff, thanks for posting this SDR.

Just wanted to note, on the old map you included, the three homes to be demolished are F.A. White (John C Olmsted's house), E.W. Hooper (Richardson's house and office), and Parsons (39 Cottage) which is interesting to see it shared the looping drive with the Hooper-Richardson house.. Comparing with the current aerial view posted on the first page of this thread, it appears that the main structure of Parsons (seen on this old drawn map) is already gone.

jay

Post by jay »

A few images found for 25 Cottage Street:

"An interior view of the drafting room of the office of Henry Hobson Richardson in the residence, originally the Samuel Gardner Perkins House, on 25 Cottage Street in Brookline, Massachusetts where he lived and worked from 1874 to his death in 1886. Men are working at drafting tables and skylights illuminate the rooms."

Kitchen

Dining

SDR

Post by SDR »

Excellent.

Here are the remaining pages of O'Gorman's essay. I wonder if there is a more complete description of the working process of an architect, anywhere in print. Wright's name pops up repeatedly; clearly Mr O'Gorman has the younger man in mind as he writes. Readers will find parallels in the practice of the two men. Note 54 describes the colors found on plan drawings by European architects in the later nineteenth century at least---black, pale gray, vermillion---and the shadows cast at 45 degrees, and one thinks of Wright's drawings with their vermillion poché and omnipresent shadowing.

The chapter picks up from the last page of text displayed above . . .

Image 6
Image 7
Image 8
Image 10
Image 11
Image 12
Image 13
Image 14
Image 15
Image 16
Image 17
Image 18
Image 19
Image 20
Image 21
Image 22
Image 23
Image 24
Image 25
ImageImageImage

From H H Richardson and His Office--a centennial of his move to Boston 1874, the essay titled "The Making of a 'Richardson Building,' 1874-1886' by James F O'Gorman, © 1974 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College
Last edited by SDR on Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Long & Kees were no longer active in Minneapolis after 1897. The Creamette Pasta Co. was founded in 1912. Unless the building was designed for a different, older firm and bought by Creamette, L&K did not design the building. The did do some very good work, however, including the grand Mpls City Hall.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Nos. 54, 60, 65 and 78 of O'Gorman's notes, above, contain material or at least echos which might be of interest to Wrightians.

I have added numbers (my own, not the author's) to the pages of the text above, for aid in reference of any discussion or questions. I will be happy to reproduce mentioned drawings, where they exist in the book, upon request.

S