Simply the best, better than all the rest

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Simply the best, better than all the rest

Post by Tim »

https://amzn.to/2J6iH5G The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion by William Allin Storrer

"... With this volume, Storrer surpasses his previous catalog of Wright's work, The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright (MIT Pr., 1978), by compiling detailed plans, photographs, and brief histories of every structure built by America's most widely known architect. The very handsome oversized book details the range of Wright's output from cottages in Montana to the Guggenheim Museum in New York. Although the author denies its relevance, some color photography would have enhanced the text, and the lack of a bibliography is regrettable; also, Storrer continues his earlier use of zip codes as guides to locations, a device some users will find clumsy. Nevertheless, this volume is an essential purchase for serious architecture collections.

Wright expert Storrer has compiled the definitive Wright reference book. His splendid descriptive volume covers more than 450 buildings designed by master architect Wright between 1886 and 1959. Storrer documents each structure with plans, drawings, photographs, and commentary. Each presentation is both complete and concise, following each stage of Wright's aesthetic development, each leap of his imagination, and each instance of technical innovation. The surprisingly fluid text includes anecdotes about the circumstances leading up to important commissions and pithy discussions of the personalities and motivations of Wright's often unusual clients. Storrer is not only a scholar and writer, but a computer draftsman and photographer as well. He has painstakingly redrawn floor plans to accurately reflect the layout of the actual buildings, as opposed to Wright's preconstruction drawings, and taken most of the 965 photographs. Storrer carefully composed each shot to capture the play of light and shadow Wright orchestrated for both the interior and the exterior of his unique creations. While Storrer's "companion" is not as coffee-table pretty as some of the other Wright books out this past year, it is an invaluable, enjoyable, and authoritative resource...
"

I was browsing my library and came across this book. My favorite.

Tim

Re: Simply the best, better than all the rest

Post by Tim »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC5E8ie2pdM Since the song is playing in your head, click and enjoy. Tina at her best. :oops:

SDR

Re: Simply the best, better than all the rest

Post by SDR »

That's the book that I've relied on, to bring Wright Chat readers floor plans and descriptions of Wright buildings---augmented at last with the rest of the Monograph volumes (I'd previously owned only numbers 5 and 6). The book at least meets the description above. I was not aware, however, that Professor Storrer did his own drawings . . .

It may be the best, but there are no contenders for second place: Storrer's effort is unique. I know of no other reference containing in one volume plans of every built Wright structure in the country. My hardbound copy is finally breaking up, after almost fifteen years of practically constant use; the book has been splayed on my scanner too many times to count.

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)