Moy Hill (Taliesin 2020...hubris notwithstanding!)

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JimM

Moy Hill (Taliesin 2020...hubris notwithstanding!)

Post by JimM »

I don't find Dropbox very intuitive... but after opening the link, click next to "Name" on the left, then click the "eye" to the right of the first image, which will open a slideshow.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nrmlollokbms ... XJZoa?dl=0

SDR

Re: Moy Hill (Taliesin 2020...hubris notwithstanding!)

Post by SDR »

Nice house, Jim. Where would it be located ? What does the name Moy Hill signify ?

Tasty---very tasty. S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:29 pm
Nice house, Jim. Where would it be located ? What does the name Moy Hill signify ?

Tasty---very tasty. S
Thanks, Stephen. Moy is a small village outside Inverness, Scotland and located alongside Loch Moy which has a small island with ruins dating to the origins of clan MacIntosh. I was lucky enough to visit the area while seeing a friend in London a long while ago. The house is in no particular location... but perhaps closer to the size Darwin Martin assumed when Wright asked him to finance a "small cottage up country" for his mother.

Rood

Post by Rood »

JimM wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:07 pm
SDR wrote:

Tasty---very tasty. S
Thanks, Stephen. Moy is a small village outside Inverness, Scotland and located alongside Loch Moy which has a small island with ruins dating to the origins of clan MacIntosh. I was lucky enough to visit the area while seeing a friend in London a long while ago. The house is in no particular location... but perhaps closer to the size Darwin Martin assumed when Wright asked him to finance a "small cottage up country" for his mother.

My, my ... If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this designer is very sincere, indeed: Ming vase near the entrance, along with a Kwanyin beside a Dutch door, Taliesin table lamps, Japanese prints here and there, a standing print stand in a bedroom ... complete with decks ... and a Birdwalk, besides. The design really is a retelling of Taliesin I.

UpOnGoblinHill

Post by UpOnGoblinHill »

As someone who would love to build a recreation of Taliesin 1, I must say Jim, how you've interpreted T1's vernacular is wonderful! The twists and turns from the car park, through the garden, and to the front door have that intimate meandering flow that I visualize in historic photos and in your awesome model of T1.

JimM

Post by JimM »

UpOnGoblinHill wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:21 pm
As someone who would love to build a recreation of Taliesin 1, I must say Jim, how you've interpreted T1's vernacular is wonderful! The twists and turns from the car park, through the garden, and to the front door have that intimate meandering flow that I visualize in historic photos and in your awesome model of T1.
Well, that makes two of us! A recreation someday would be nice somewhere... and thanks for the kind words.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Rood wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:36 pm
JimM wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:07 pm
SDR wrote:

Tasty---very tasty. S

My, my ... If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, this designer is very sincere, indeed: Ming vase near the entrance, along with a Kwanyin beside a Dutch door, Taliesin table lamps, Japanese prints here and there, a standing print stand in a bedroom ... complete with decks ... and a Birdwalk, besides. The design really is a retelling of Taliesin I.
Well, “in the spirit of” anyway, in a good way I hope.

SDR

Post by SDR »

"... but perhaps closer to the size Darwin Martin assumed when Wright asked him to finance a "small cottage up country" for his mother." Heh---I love it !

I have no trouble distinguishing your little dream from Taliesin I; it is its own thing, clearly designed by someone quite familiar with Wright's earlier work. It is essentially a two-bedroom cottage, with one of the suites separated from the main structure, as an in-law or guest quarters ?

The meandering arrival path continues through the interior, yet there is an allée at the center of the plan, from the door of the detached suite all the way through the house to the furthest reach of the elevated porch. Order, unity and variety combined.

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

JimM

Post by JimM »

SDR wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:40 pm
"... but perhaps closer to the size Darwin Martin assumed when Wright asked him to finance a "small cottage up country" for his mother." Heh---I love it !

I have no trouble distinguishing your little dream from Taliesin I; it is its own thing, clearly designed by someone quite familiar with Wright's earlier work. It is essentially a two-bedroom cottage, with one of the suites separated from the main structure, as an in-law or guest quarters ?

The meandering arrival path continues through the interior, yet there is an allée at the center of the plan, from the door of the detached suite all the way through the house to the furthest reach of the elevated porch. Order, unity and variety combined.

S
Too kind, but only an homage to the best example of Wright's spatial genius, IMO... the practicality of guest quarters to extend the layout while keeping things compact made sense. I was more than tempted to substitute a studio, but the goal of simplicity works as is without adding more function. Of course, were this ever to be remotely feasible, a studio could easily double as separate guest accommodations within the same footprint... at least the addition of a farm unit would be extremely unlikely!