Wright and New York

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Wright and New York

Post by Roderick Grant »

Anthony Alofsin has come out with a new biography of FLW that makes some questionable claims about the impact New York City had on his architecture from as far back as 1909. Has anyone seen this book?

SDR

Re: Wright and New York

Post by SDR »

I haven't seen the book yet. There's this, from last year: http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 2&t=12628S

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Re: Wright and New York

Post by Roderick Grant »

Ah, yes. Now I recall that post.
There are a host of critics who praise the book rather excessively, all of whom are New York-based, which seems to me likely to be biased. So many New Yorkers (by which I mean Manhattanites) think all good things emanate from their island. That there is so much previously unpublished information on FLW's connection to NYC that it calls for a re-writing of history, I find unconvincing. His connection in 1909, for instance, would have been inevitable, since he shipped out to Europe through there, but how does that constitute an influence on his work?