Article: Cancel Culture pays a visit to Philip Johnson

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Re: Article: Cancel Culture pays a visit to Philip Johnson

Post by Tim »

1968, 2016 and 2020 may have had the same theme: Crappy vs. crappy, and crappy won each time

You got confused because you thought you could smell the difference
Last edited by Tim on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Another vote for false equivalencies, cynicism, distrust in democracy, and non voting.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, exactly as you say!

Since the prior posts were on foreign matters, is it your contention that Humphrey, Clinton, and Biden would have been less imperialist than Nixon and Trump? Or would you just have felt better about it, like Kennedy and Obama’s imperialism? We all love the home team.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Imperialism is one, but not the only factor. The GOP record on civil rights and women’s rights is abysmal. Listen to racist Reagan and Nixon here: https://youtu.be/z7GLJsclRi8

Carter and Eisenhower were our finest presidents in regards to avoiding imperialist wars in my lifetime. And I’m proud of my votes for Carter. Clinton was far better than Bush the 2nd. In fact, I think “W” is a war criminal. The notion that they are all the same is just not true.

Btw- The Democrats are not my “home team”. I have voted as often for peace and freedom and independent candidates as dem, but not usually pres, since the electoral college margins have become razor thin, even though Republicans consistently lose the popular vote.

Tim

Post by Tim »

I am the Chicago area.

Over the summer, my neighbor was ranting about Fascist Donald Trump and police brutality. Trump was even getting blamed for police brutality in Chicago. The fact that police brutality in Chicago has been awful for 75+ years and both Chicago and Illinois have been Democrat Blue (by a lot) also for 75+ years ... didn't seem to matter.

Like I said ... We all love the home team.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, President Eisenhower was an exceptional man

Probably “President Lincoln like” in character and competency

peterm

Post by peterm »

Can we admit that racist cops all over the US feel emboldened by the rhetoric of Trump and Stephen Miller?

And police reforms, as weak as they were, have been overturned.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05 ... eling.html

Tim

Post by Tim »

No, that's rationalizing the home team's evil behavior.

2014, 2+ years before President Trump became President

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Laquan_McDonald

Mayor at the time incident Former Chief of Staff to President Obama; In power for 4 years (at time of incident)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rahm_Emanuel

It seems safe to say that Emanuel suppressed the video so he could win reelection

President at the time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama

SDR

Post by SDR »

Democrats made an unforced error in allowing the message "defund the police" to enter the public dialog in the way that it did. The operative intent of the concept was that funding should be redirected, from the acquisition of military-combat equipment, for instance, and toward improved training of officers. Unfortunately, the phrase is readily capable of being misused, and misused it was.

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/polic ... index.html

Knowing that my union brotherhood had my back no matter what would encourage (embolden) me.

So would knowing that my union supplied the money and man power to the politicians who are supposedly overseeing me.

Tim

Post by Tim »

SDR,

Initially, I think they meant what they said. That is, the ones who were speaking at the time (June'ish). But I agree, I don't believe President Biden or VP Harris would say defund. They would say something closer to your point: better training, etc.
Last edited by Tim on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Has anyone read this book?

https://amzn.to/3h2lYzE

"... When Philip Johnson died in 2005 at the age of 98, he was still one of the most recognizable and influential figures on the American cultural landscape. The first recipient of the Pritzker Prize and MoMA's founding architectural curator, Johnson made his mark as one of America's leading architects with his famous Glass House in New Caanan, CT, and his controversial AT&T Building in NYC, among many others in nearly every city in the country -- but his most natural role was as a consummate power broker and shaper of public opinion.

Johnson introduced European modernism -- the sleek, glass-and-steel architecture that now dominates our cities -- to America, and mentored generations of architects, designers, and artists to follow. He defined the era of "starchitecture" with its flamboyant buildings and celebrity designers who esteemed aesthetics and style above all other concerns. But Johnson was also a man of deep paradoxes: he was a Nazi sympathizer, a designer of synagogues, an enfant terrible into his old age, a populist, and a snob. His clients ranged from the Rockefellers to televangelists to Donald Trump.

Award-winning architectural critic and biographer
Mark Lamster's The Man in the Glass House lifts the veil on Johnson's controversial and endlessly contradictory life to tell the story of a charming yet deeply flawed man. A rollercoaster tale of the perils of wealth, privilege, and ambition, this book probes the dynamics of American culture that made him so powerful, and tells the story of the built environment in modern America..."

SDR

Post by SDR »

Flawed, maybe; deeply flawed ? Why---he forgot to capitalize Black ? (Oh wait, they weren't doing that yet when he died . . .)

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

Bad timing, to release a $100 book about Philip Johnson

https://amzn.to/2KLgltj Philip Johnson: A Visual Biography

"... A spectacular visual biography of one of the most celebrated architects and cultural icons of the twentieth century

With his elegant suits and trademark round black glasses, Philip Johnson - a witty, wealthy, and well-connected architect - was for many years the most powerful figure in the society and politics of his profession. This impressively illustrated book traces his seven decades of larger-than-life influence, innovation, and controversy in the realm of architecture and beyond. Hundreds of images and documents, many published here for the first time, trace the remarkable life and career of a true legend..
."

SDR

Post by SDR »

People who buy books like that spend a hundred dollars at lunch without batting an eye. It's you and I who have to hope the local library will spring for a copy. Maybe one of the online sellers will do a "Look Inside" . . .

S