Video: Jean Killion House - Pasadena, CA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Jean Killion House - Pasadena, CA

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Re: Video: Jean Killion House - Pasadena, CA

Post by Roderick Grant »

Pure, Elegant. Perfectly sited. Even the carport is beautiful.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Agreed. Speaking of which, what inept handyman placed the house numbers ?

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Easily fixed.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The newer kitchen is absolutely in keeping with the original fabric, I think---and admirably restrained.

The difference in what is seen between the two photo sets is illuminating; if one way of looking at the house doesn't suit, there's always the alternative. The lesson is simply how different an object can be, as seen by two pairs of eyes, and with two choices of equipment ?

S
"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's one glaring fault in this lovely place. Can there be any doubt that the arrangement of the brick steps at the level change represents a hazard ?

Two alternatives suggest themselves. The second version could be achieved now without too much destruction of the existing material:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

On the face of it, you are correct. Yet here we are, decades after the house was constructed, and no indication that any damage has been done. No bits of dried blood anywhere to be seen.

Your first solution would create an awkward access to the right of the stair, leading to the family room, to the width of a single step. I think that one is a non-starter. Your second solution would introduce an unattractive element into the design. A diagonal changes the direction toward the kitchen, which I suspect Ms Killion did not want.

Stairs are always a bit dangerous, and one should be attentive to how one navigates them. I suspect messing with what has seemingly worked all these years would not add much, if any, value.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Color me speechless . . .

S