Pearl Palace to undergo urgent restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Pearl Palace to undergo urgent restoration

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Re: Pearl Palace to undergo urgent restoration

Post by DRN »

One would hope $215,000 goes a little further in hyper inflation prone Iran than it does here. I'm supposing the work is primarily structural stabilization.
I'm sending some screen captures I made some time ago from a Google Earth search for the Palace to SDR for posting. There appear to be out-buildings in addition to the expected gatehouse on the estate that have a TAA-ness to them.

Link to another Pearl Palace thread:
http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... arl+Palace

SDR

Post by SDR »

Google Earth shots of the site:

"As a former copy editor, I always feel I am defending the person whose name is being misspelled, not attacking the person who misspells it." Ronald Alan McCrea (1943-2019)

GordonM

Post by GordonM »

Lonnie's book "Growing Up Wright" has some interesting information about the Pearl Palace. Wes Peters was in Iran for extended periods of time during construction and wrote to Don Lovness regularly. One telegram to Don was an appeal to raise a considerable amount of money on short notice (unrelated to the work in Iran, but directly related to to his ongoing financial problems back home). Another time Wes had hired a small aircraft and took aerial photos of the nearly-complete palace. He sent one to Don, marking areas where the planned lakes would be around the buildings. He wanted Don's advice about the best way to keep the water clear (since there was little inflow or outflow to these man-made lakes). A chemical engineer, Don had advised Taliesin for years about water treatments for the lake below Taliesin. Copper Sulfate kept that big pond clear of weeds, as can be seen in the photos of the Taliesin pirate parties during the '60s (also in the book). See images at the photo gallery, www.growingupwright.com