Decrying Demagoguery

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Decrying Demagoguery

Post by peterm »

Some will argue that this piece has nothing to do with Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture. Others might respond by insisting that a democratic architecture (“organic ?”) relies on a free, informed citizenry and transparent institutions. It’s silly speculation to play the “What Would Wright say?” game, and yet if the thought doesn’t cross your mind, I’m afraid you’ve been living in a cave.

https://madison.com/ct/opinion/column/j ... 9790a.html

SDR

Re: Decrying Demagoguery

Post by SDR »

John Nichols has been with the Capital Times since 1993; a banner year for the paper as a result, I expect, and a banner year for books about Mr Wright and his work, as well. A nice coincidence, if a small one. Let us raise our glasses to Nichols, to Wright, and to "turning the corner"---sooner or later---in this our besieged nation ? Thank you, Peter.

S

RA

Post by RA »

One can only pray that we do in fact make it to those crossroads.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's dodgy, to be sure. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Awful lot of guns out there, these days. So much hate and distrust has been sown and grown, it's hard to know what to expect.

I pray for a giant awakening . . . in Washington, and across the land.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Identity Politics is another form of demagoguery. Perhaps more subtle than McCarthyism, but still....

Making comparisons over a 70-year span of time is dicey. In those post-war years, Communism was the bugaboo, and not in a right-left manner, but pretty much across the board. The most popular show on TV in those days was "I Led Three Lives," based on the book "I Was a Communist for the FBI" by Herb Philbrick. McCarthy had a lot of support at the beginning. There was a lot of talk about what a good president he would have made, but he was so dreadful on TV that he was "hanged by his own petard." (In a way, the same has happened to Trump.) Meanwhile, the House of Representatives' HUAC was doing exactly the same thing, but the personalities that headed it were less telegenic. I doubt anyone can name a head of HUAC back to its founding in 1918 through 1975, when it was finally disbanded.

The one aspect of all of this I find ludicrous is the fretting about the political cat fight imperiling American democracy. It has not suffered a single abrasion. Trump's spotlight is fading, and we will have a new target come January, and the friction will continue.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Not having myself quite absorbed the meaning of the term, I looked it up:

i·den·ti·ty pol·i·tics
noun
a tendency for people of a particular religion, race, social background, etc., to form exclusive political alliances, moving away from traditional broad-based party politics.

Certainly this is one of the hallmarks, and either a cause, an effect, or both, of the much-referred-to polarization of the public, here and perhaps abroad as well ?

It would be wonderful if Mr Trump sank from sight; there is an equally strong possibility, isn't there, that he will keep himself in the spotlight---as it is the very air he breathes---for as long as possible ? Today's news is that he is more likely than not to run again in 2024, keeping his decision from the rest of his party for as long as possible and making it difficult for another candidate to rise to prominence. Underestimating the man has already cost the country dearly, and we would be well advised not to do so again.

One of a number of current stories: https://www.inquisitr.com/6394136/donal ... can-party/

I don't intend to start another useless back-and-forth about Donald Trump, and will leave the subject alone, here.

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

FLW would have appreciated Trump's noninterventionist foreign policy. They had that in common.

RA

Post by RA »

Asking the military for tactical scenarios on bombing Iran's nuclear facilities is not exactly the work of a noninterventionist.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

What most people seem not to have noticed is that the public Donald Trump is all talk. It is purposeful, and the reason he succeeded as presidential nominee and won the election in '16. What Trump DID, he did not talk about; what Trump TALKED ABOUT, diverted attention from what he was doing. The Wall, for instance, was a diversion; he never expected to get it done, nor did he want to. The complexities of his administration will take historians a century to sort out.

Tim

Post by Tim »

FLW got to hang out in WI and AZ during two world wars. It is easier to practice isolationism under such conditions.

Presidents have to deal with the politics and circumstances of their time. They also have to protect their citizens from evil states and actors.

Here is a good article on isolationism: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... sm/616499/

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Nuance is a hard sell.